10 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 September 2021 - 02:47 PM

Years and years ago there was a thread on Wander the West on where to find the best cinnamon rolls while traveling. This morning the best spot is right here at home.............................

Cin-Rolls-001-copy.jpg

Buttermilk sourdough cinnamon rolls right out of the oven. Julie said it is a good start on celebrating our 38th wedding anniversary. I agree. Can we eat the whole skillet full?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:12 PM

How to make please? Bigfoot Dave

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:40 PM

They sure look yummy.

Oh happy anniversary.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:04 PM

Here you go from our files. We captured this recipe from somewhere (on the internet?). It is not our own and we apologize for not giving due credit for the original source.

Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls Recipe

Equipment

• 12" Cast Iron Skillet
  • Mixing Bowls
  • Bench-Scraper
  • Cheese Grater
  • Pastry Brush

Ingredients

• 8 tablespoons (113 g) butter (cold)
  • 2 ¾ cups (345 g) all-purpose flour (see notes)
  • ½ cup (100 g) sourdough starter discard (see notes for active starter)
  • ¾ cup (180 g) buttermilk (see notes)
  • 2 tablespoons (30 g) honey (or granulated sugar)
  • ¾ teaspoon (4 g) fine sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder (hold back in initial mix)
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda (hold back in initial mix)

Cinnamon-Sugar Filling

• ¾ cup (150 g) light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons (56 g) butter (melted)

Cinnamon Roll Glaze

• 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon (14 g) butter (melted)
  • 1 teaspoon (5 g) vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons (30 g) milk

Instructions

The night before

1. Mix the dough: Use a cheese grater to grate the cold butter into a mixing bowl. Add the flour and use a bench scraper or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour. Add the sourdough starter discard, buttermilk, honey and salt. Mix with a spatula until the ingredients are well incorporated. Cover the bowl and let rest on the counter for 10-12 hours. (DO NOT add the baking soda or baking powder. This will be added right before rolling out the dough)

The next morning

1. Make cinnamon sugar filling and glaze: Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, set aside. In a separate bowl, mix the glaze ingredients and set aside. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and butter a 12" cast iron skillet.
  2. Add leavening agents: Mix the baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl with a fork until there are no visible lumps. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the dough and mix it in with your hands.
  3. Roll out the dough: Generously flour your work surface and turn the dough onto it. Flour the top of the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 12" x 22" rectangle.
  4. Cut out rolls: Use a pastry brush to coat the top of the dough with melted butter and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over the surface, leaving a half inch bare along the edges. Starting on one side, roll the dough into a log shape. Use the bench-scraper to cut the log into 12 pieces (approximately 1.5 inches). Arrange the portions in the cast iron skillet, leaving space in between each piece to expand.
  5. Bake: Bake the cinnamon rolls for 35-40 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and glaze while hot.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the recipe.I printed it out and Shar will give it a try.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:41 PM

"Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 12" x 22" rectangle."

Can anyone actually do this? Or roll it out round for pies or pizzas. Every time I roll out dough it comes out looking like a Rorschach's test.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 02:31 AM

We're so impressed with Julie's baking expertise!  It's been inspiring to see both of you continue the adventure,  and to still be holding hands when you walk together.   Next month we celebrate our 15th year as a couple and 11 years as fellow WTW travelers. 

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:27 AM

"Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 12" x 22" rectangle."

Can anyone actually do this? Or roll it out round for pies or pizzas. Every time I roll out dough it comes out looking like a Rorschach's test.

I make a fairly decent rectangle! I use a Silpat baking mat that is about a retangle and I roll the dough to the top and bottom and outter edges. Then I use my hands to spread   the dough to the corners to make a fairly good rectangle.  Add the filling, roll and cut!

Monte says I need to say that "This is Julie" answering!

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 12:30 AM

We're so impressed with Julie's baking expertise!  It's been inspiring to see both of you continue the adventure,  and to still be holding hands when you walk together.   Next month we celebrate our 15th year as a couple and 11 years as fellow WTW travelers. 

Hi guys! We miss you! Thanks for the kind words! We have reservations at Benton for Monte's 69th birthday in November and I will be

11 weeks out from my second (and final) knee replacement! So I will be mobile  and ready to soak!! :)

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 07:35 PM

......................and early last Sunday morning :)

Rolls-001-copy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users