• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:56 PM

Consistent with our practice of planning far into the future, we find ourselves in North Platte NB on our way back to Portland from Vermont with a day or two to spare. So we looked at the map and US 40 seemed to be a (very) reasonable alternative to I-80 and still reasonably direct.  Any suggestions on what to explore along the way?

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:39 PM

We enjoyed Dinosaur National Monument and look forward to returning.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,588 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 September 2021 - 12:58 AM

Another  thumbs up for Dinosaur NM.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 25 September 2021 - 12:08 PM

If you have a little time, check out Echo Park Campground in Dinosaur NM.  A little bit off the track, it's a great place to camp along the river with very few people and lots of history:

Petroglyphs, John Wesley Powell, conservation victories and fine fall weather...

https://www.nps.gov/...kcampground.htm

#5 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 30 September 2021 - 01:47 AM

Thanks to all for the suggestion to Dinosaur National Monument. It was extraordinary.

Unfortunately, our joint acrophobia precluded a trip to Echo Park. We can handle short distances with dropoff, but the initial part of the road was too long. Nonetheless, it was still spectacular. I think we all owe a debt to the dinosaurs, whose showcase at the western end of the monument enabled the eastern part to be protected as part of the monument. The dinosaur exhibit itself was interesting as well. The building is built on bentonite clay and the display wall is speckled with strain gauges to monitor movement of the building. And we enjoyed the petroglyphs - we will download the software that enhances them. I would add that the most spectacular petroglyps we have ever found were in the Great Basin National Monument. Today's taggers have nothing on the ancients there.

When we started out from Denver, US-40 was jam packed - as was I-70, so we stayed on I-70 to Silverthorne. SR 9 from outside of to Silverthorn to Stagecoach Spring was most enjoyable. Aspens. Now I get it. New England fall foliage with a minimalist palette. Truly spectacular. The resort towns Silverthorn and Stagecoach Springs turned us off - not our cup of tee, but provided gas and interesting groceries.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users