Photo
- - - - -

Where do you get water refills on road trips?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:06 AM

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

In 3 weeks my GF & I will take our 1st extended FWC road trip. Forest Service/National Park campgrounds will be closing up and shutting off water, winterizing for cold weather. The FWC 20 gallon water tank will need replenishing. We have zero interest in staying at RV parks, much less paying $ to stay in one simply to get a water refill. Dispersion Camping R Us.

I'm the newly proud owner of a Water Bandit water source adaptor. I also have a 4-in-1 universal sillcock key on order.

Where do you get water on the road without being sneaky?  :rolleyes:  

• Ask a gas station when filling up?
  • Any chance truck stops provide water as a service?
  • Are there places that accept $ in exchange for water (similar to RV's paying to dump their waste tank)? 

Do tell...

Thankx!!!

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#2 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:15 AM

Short answer, all of the above.

Longer answer is it depends. Gas stations IME do depending how busy they are and how suit fearful they are.

Same for truck stops, though sometimes they have a dedicated potable station

Unthought of spots I’ve found:

-RV dumps, SOMETIMES, one here in town has a frost free potable faucet at the end of the dump lane, NOT the wash down one next to the dump

-Ranger Stations, not associated with the aforementioned RV Park or campground 

-Some towns that have a lot of off grid types or no municipal system have a water station

-I’ve seen grocery and hardware stores with dispensers where you can buy bulk filtered water, byob. There’s one here at the Fred Meyer that is big enough to take a car boy sized container.

I’m personally not adverse to natural systems within reason. Though to refill 20gal, even using your Water Bandit if you can, may take awhile. A lot of people are adverse, especially of loading up a tank full and needing to go through a sanitation cycle before they load again. Let your conscious be your guide.

Good luck.

Edited by LuckyDan, 26 September 2021 - 07:29 AM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#3 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 12:07 PM

this is by far the hardest part of off grid camping

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:22 PM

We're careful, but not too picky about where we fill the camper's tank because we keep a 5 gal container of drinking water inside. That gets refilled from 2.5 gal store bought containers.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:36 PM

Agree with the posts above.  We have had good luck at public dump stations (like we have at some rest areas in CO) as well as at BLM/USFS ranger stations and some gas stations.   We have also had luck at public parks in smaller towns - there is often a spigot for watering/maintenance use. 

One additional thing we have is a small 12V water pump and a folding bucket.   While the preference is to fill direct from a spigot into the the tank with our 25' hose,  sometimes there is water available, but you can't get close enough to fill or it would not be cool to hook your hose up.   In that case we fill our 20L folding bucket  carry it back to the camper, drop the pump into the bucket (using our water bandit to attach our fill hose to the outlet of the pump) and pump it into the tank.    In a pinch you can fill the bucket from a bathroom sink, pay for filtered water in a grocery store or even from natural water and then add bleach just to the bucket, not to the camper tank.  

With this combination we have never had an issue finding water fairly easily, even in the winter.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 EYEMLOST

EYEMLOST

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 27 September 2021 - 02:59 PM

Being a former desert rat from S. Cal owning/using six 5gal water jerry cans; I can't say I've ever ran dry after a two week outing.

My rule of thumb with said six jerry cans was three weeks max.

On day 22; I'm heading into the nearest town.

Now living up in the PNW with an abundance of rivers as a water source; vehicle fuel and food would be/is the limiting factor of being off grid.

But then again; I carry three 5gal fuel jerry cans and I average 30lbs overweight!  :lol:  :lol:

1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

#7 Dan W

Dan W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:48 PM

We have a lifesaver 5 gallon Jerry can that can filter 5000 gallons of water so if you're near a creek or river you can always use those sources for drinking water. Then from that I have two other five gallon jerry water cans and I fill them from the lifesaver.

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,019 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 September 2021 - 07:46 PM

I rarely need to refill on the road. Twenty gallons plus another two or three of drinking water is almost always enough. Of course that'll change once I start taking longer trips. I filter all the water going into the tank with a charcoal filter https://www.campingw...ater-filtration and another 5 micron filter on the cold water side (at the sink). Another filter for hiking or desperate measures. 

I'm not above asking a homeowner if I may use their hose if they're outside and look friendly. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 UmkaAndHawk

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:19 PM

We carry about 7 gal of fresh water at a time (7 gal of wash water, different tank, but we use this very sparingly).

With that small amount we have to refill more frequently than some, but part of that fresh supply is a 1 gal jug (easy to carry and discretely fill). Have filled at truck stops, and gas stations, just from the bathroom...ought to ask first.

In a pinch we have a base-camp water purifier from any reasonable freshwater source. Gravity water purification filter, bigger version of what we use backpacking. Time consuming, and won't work for 20 gal all that easily, but works for us.

#10 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:20 AM

A different approach that works for us.

We carry potable water (filtered from our home system) in 13 one gallon square grocery store bottles. This lasts Sioux and me a week or more for drinking and cooking. (I've learned the hard way to swap the bottles out annually since they do wear out.) If we can't get a safe supply of drinking water we just buy the 2.5 gallon containers and refill our gallon bottles. (We also carry a filter for emergency use.)

This tactic keeps me from worrying about the safety of the water in our 20 gallon tank and water heater so we can pretty much refill anywhere. (We also usually carry one or two 7.5 gallon containers for backup washing and showering water.)

BTW, we do travel heavy. Our 3500 Ram chassis cab has a GVWR of 11,000# and with the flatbed Grandby and all our assorted crap wet for a week or two we flirt with the GVW!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users