Photo
- - - - -

Where do you get water refills on road trips?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 29 September 2021 - 07:12 PM

Out West Maverick Gas Stations have potable water faucets for filling RVs.....we did this in Moab...but lots of these stations out here.

#12 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:52 AM

What everyone else said plus :rolleyes:, I always carry a couple of  water cans and just top off the tank when needed (a little hard to lift sometimes, but you have to be tough to drive a p0p-up!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#13 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:54 AM

So far

RV camps

Visitor Centers

Grocery stores

Gas Stations

Campgrounds

and a very nice old lady

All of these i just went up to and asked, offered money and filled up from a spigot.

I have a 27-30 gallon tank and i usually carry an extra five of water and fuel

i also can pump and filter out of creeks

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#14 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:57 PM

Going to remember the Mavericks tip. None local, but we travel in their region frequently.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#15 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 30 September 2021 - 01:58 PM

We use commercial potable water purchased in 1 or 2 gallon containers once we have used our stock of water from home. 

For bulk water, I am leery of "potable" water systems at campgrounds and rec sites as a result of my work experience.  In monitoring many of these systems for a national agency, I have seen that they rarely meet standards for potable water systems and can be contaminated, especially with E. Coli.  We refill, when opportunity presents, from a trusted domestic system.

Because it can be difficult to fill bulk water tanks from the factory fill location, I installed a marine port on our bulk tank.  Available at marine suppliers and Amazon for about $20, it gives me an easier port for filling the tank from containers than the original fill location.  It also gives me access directly to the bulk tank for cleaning and sterilizing when needed.  I find it very convenient and no longer use the original fill port.

00000_1AKKt1TpEYwz_0iP0CI_600x450.jpg

#16 SigSanDiego

SigSanDiego

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

For drinking water:

In our Grandby we don’t worry about drinking water. We use a Zero Water pitcher for cooking and drinking water needs.

Flush system once every 3 months.

Running out of water is another story (haven’t yet). Others have outlined collecting water in the wild so I won’t comment on that.

#17 FowlinFleet

FowlinFleet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:57 PM

The iOverlander app is a great resource for finding public filling stations.

#18 desertmtn

desertmtn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 01:40 AM

The iOverlander app is a great resource for finding public filling stations.

And the more we all add to it the better it will be 😉

#19 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:59 AM

If you are dispersed camping, as you say, on NF and BLM land, you can easily find creeks and rivers and streams and waterfalls where you can find clean water that you can directly filter, or simply boil if you're just making coffee. We recently finished up a 60-day trip while topping off our drinking water containers each day using an inexpensive, backpacking Sawyer water filter to eliminate any potential harmful bacteria, in otherwise clean mountain water. We experimented this year by camping primarily at, or closeby creeks off of forest service roads. We brought along a few jerry cans just in case, including a Lifesaver Expedition water jerrycan, which can quickly filter and hold up to 6 gallons of any type of water, but to our amazement never had to touch any of the jerrycans we brought along, as mountain water was all we ever needed and the Sawyer water filter was convenient and bulletproof and easy to carry on long hikes, where you can access mountain streams for nice cold refills along the way. Even if you don't have a dispersed campsite with an accessible creek you can always stop at one along the way to top off. We just backwashed the Sawyer filter once after two months of use, to clean it out and it's ready to quickly filter another 1oo gallons of water. They last, seemingly, forever. The larger Lifesaver expedition can's filter is good for 5,000 gallons before the filter needs replacement. 

Rich

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#20 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 04:32 PM

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Wow! I started this thread & am super impressed by the helpful community hereabouts. 

Maverik & Pilot Flying J also have apps to help us out. They're friendly to truckers, RV'ers & FWC type people needing water.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users