• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#11 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:09 AM

Drop the remaining air bag to 5 psi and proceed.  Should be fine.  Headlights may be too high for night driving though.  

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#12 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:19 PM

I'm with Jim, I would question the install. I've had air bags on three vehicles and never had that happen. Also have driven on some severe 4WD roads with no problems. I would tie it up out of the way or remove and head home !!

#13 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 September 2021 - 03:04 PM

Update: After a slightly fitful nights sleep, we’ve set up a tow through AAA to Monte Vista. There appears to be a 1-1/2” sag between the front and rear axles. Tentative plan is to have the airbags removed and head home depending on what shop tells us.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#14 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 29 September 2021 - 03:13 PM

That’s hardly any sag at all. I had a similar experience with a leaking Schrader valve on one side. If you have any really heavy items you could move them forward in the camper. Take it easy on the way home and all should be good.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#15 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:35 PM

The AAA tow guy, who we thought was free, wanted $300 for the 3.5 miles of freshly graded and improved gravel road to get us back to pavement. Being penny wise, pound foolish we spent 40 minutes driving down very slooowly to pavement. Seemed worth it ;-/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#16 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 29 September 2021 - 05:51 PM

Been there, done that.

A few years ago in DV we were driving up from Saline Valley to Steele Pass and ka-blooie!

I popped one bag, due to reasons not relevant here.

I amputated the blown bag and lowered the other side to 12 psi.   We were able to get it done quickly and still got in our hike that day.

We continued another few days of dirt and 300 mile drive home to Nevada City without incident.

Plenty of people drive without airbags at all.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#17 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:55 PM

All great suggestions have been posted.  I think Dave is going to go with what he feels comfortable with.  It is outside the normal for him and we don't want to push him out of the bubble.

5 psi in the remaining side, lighten the rear weight forward and enjoy the drive home.  Plenty of people drive around with worse conditions.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 September 2021 - 07:23 PM

Patrick,thanks for the realistic approach.

I hope yours and other suggestions give

"daverave" an easier mind.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#19 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:21 PM

Sitting in a shop in Monte Vista getting well taken care of by Paul at Discount Parts and Glass which pretty much does everything. Recommend. He squeezed us in to a packed schedule and we’re avoiding a motel night.

He confirmed what several have said that it was likely a poor install, guessing that Four Wheel Parts may have installed with the camper on it, a big no-no as you can’t really know the true ride height so the articulation was compromised. He also thought 35 psi was too low for the load. He suggested a package from AirLift when we get home… and a better install.

We’ll probably take it easy on the way home, staying near pavement. Thanks to everyone for weighing in, much of this is outside my knowledge base but I feel better able to address it now.
WTW rocks!

#20 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:42 AM

Might talk to WFO up in Auburn when you get home about a leaf springs-only solution. 1.5" of sag doesn't sound like it will be asking for much more than what you have now.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users