#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 September 2021 - 11:07 PM

Nice!  Beautiful country!

My guess on your large raptor is an almost mature golden eagle.  Notice the longer secondary flight feathers that make a curve on the wing trailing edge. That will be straighter when the bird is mature.

I am haunted by waters

#12 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:46 AM

Boy Andy, following this thread sure brings back allot of memories and adventures I had in that country in the 80's and early 90's when I was part of the BLM inventory, monitoring and planning staff trying to get the sheep out the High Rock/Little High Rock area so it and all those resources could be protected and the Big Horn Sheep reintroduced.  You talk about Public Land management, it seemed like every interest group there was (from Wild horse Anne, to  ATV groups,  grazing permit holders, ect)  had to have their say and more and back then, most of the groups would not talk to one another, let alone agree on anything. 

This is where I learned one of the secrets of Land Management from our old and wise District Manager-he got so tired of every one yelling at reach other that he loaded every one into a bunch of BLM rigs with food and booze, took 'em out to Stevens Camp, dumped then off for a week with no way out, and said "give me a plan".  It was our job, to answer questions and drive them around.  It worked, when you eat ,drink, wash dishes with each other, ya get to know people and maybe even agree on somethings.  And they came up with a plan(s) or two but it still took a negative mineral report and several more years before they were approved by DC, and that wonderful place protected and yet still kept open to the public.

That was along time ago, so sorry if I got off your trip report but I spent allot time there , driving that old BLM Dodge Power Wagon up and down those canyons, hiking and   camping out there or staying at Stevens Camp and that wonderful old wood burning stove-just me and the dog trying to implement some of those plans. Those roads beat up your rigs , but after a while you learned the tricks of driving there (or walking out allot when you got stuck).  Favorite place ,Grassy Canyon and those wonderful wagon ruts-worst sleeping at Conlon Camp with all the mice. 

From what I hear since they made it a NCA, they have added some more rules out there-I still remember our lead land planner saying that after all our work they would give it to the Park Service but that has not happened -so what are a few extra rules to keep that place public so we can enjoy it. I have not been back up there for over 30 years, but I maybe one day I'll go back one more time.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 30 September 2021 - 12:48 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#13 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 30 September 2021 - 01:54 AM

Boy Andy, following this thread sure brings back allot of memories and adventures I had in that country in the 80's and early 90's when I was part of the BLM inventory, monitoring and planning staff trying to get the sheep out the High Rock/Little High Rock area so it and all those resources could be protected and the Big Horn Sheep reintroduced.  You talk about Public Land management, it seemed like every interest group there was (from Wild horse Anne, to  ATV groups,  grazing permit holders, ect)  had to have their say and more and back then, most of the groups would not talk to one another, let alone agree on anything. 

This is where I learned one of the secrets of Land Management from our old and wise District Manager-he got so tired of every one yelling at reach other that he loaded every one into a bunch of BLM rigs with food and booze, took 'em out to Stevens Camp, dumped then off for a week with no way out, and said "give me a plan".  It was our job, to answer questions and drive them around.  It worked, when you eat ,drink, wash dishes with each other, ya get to know people and maybe even agree on somethings.  And they came up with a plan(s) or two but it still took a negative mineral report and several more years before they were approved by DC, and that wonderful place protected and yet still kept open to the public.

That was along time ago, so sorry if I got off your trip report but I spent allot time there , driving that old BLM Dodge Power Wagon up and down those canyons, hiking and   camping out there or staying at Stevens Camp and that wonderful old wood burning stove-just me and the dog trying to implement some of those plans. Those roads beat up your rigs , but after a while you learned the tricks of driving there (or walking out allot when you got stuck).  Favorite place ,Grassy Canyon and those wonderful wagon ruts-worst sleeping at Conlon Camp with all the mice. 

From what I hear since they made it a NCA, they have added some more rules out there-I still remember our lead land planner saying that after all our work they would give it to the Park Service but that has not happened -so what are a few extra rules to keep that place public so we can enjoy it. I have not been back up there for over 30 years, but I maybe one day I'll go back one more time.

Smoke

Smoke, your history with this special place is very welcome here.  Feel free to chime in with anything that comes up for you.

We'll be visiting Steven's Camp in our next episode.

Conlon Camp no longer has any structures, other than a fallen over outhouse out in the wet meadow where the road crosses Mahogany Creek.  We did spot some caves back there and someone has done a large amount of digging.  I can only hope it wasn't "pot diggers".

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#14 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 01:55 AM

Nice!  Beautiful country!

My guess on your large raptor is an almost mature golden eagle.  Notice the longer secondary flight feathers that make a curve on the wing trailing edge. That will be straighter when the bird is mature.

I appreciate your birding knowledge, Steven!   

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#15 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 30 September 2021 - 03:26 PM

OK…I’ll wait for the next episode. Patience, I’m practicing patience. 😂 Great report so far! 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#16 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for sharing.  My wife and I went through that area back in the mid 90's.  A magical place.   

#17 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:08 AM

great report. thx very much !!

Oregon

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 October 2021 - 06:43 PM

Thanks Andy.Nice rainbow photo.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#19 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 06:51 PM

High Rock Canyon and Beyond, Part III  is now available here.

#20 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 October 2021 - 01:18 PM

I always thought it'd be a blast to launch rockets out on the playa. I did High Rock Nov 2013. I can't wait to read about your trip.

Thanks!!

Was thru the area two weeks ago with a pilot friend and the FAA had a temp flight restriction for the area due to the rockets. The flight restriction went to 80,000 feet!

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users