50 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2021 - 09:23 PM

I've said in recent years: "A replacement for my gas-hog 2000 F250, 6.8L V10 rig will never pay for itself in fuel $aving$."

And that's still true...but I think I've decided I don't care about the $$-based argument for sticking with the 21-year old rig.

I'm very close to deciding on a 2021 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine, 4x4, Supercab, 6.5-foot bed

F150-01.jpg  F150-02.jpg  F150-03.jpg  F150-04.jpg

I guess it's just "modern technology" that allows this smaller engine to provide more power and torque than my current rig at significantly better gas mileage.  And it has greater towing capacity. It has significantly smaller payload capacity than the current rig, but still enough to carry my FWC Hawk...and most of its driving time with be pulling my travel trailer or with just a canopy.

So, why exactly am I considering a new truck?  Besides the intangible "new is fun" argument... I want the advances that have been made in the past 21 years. And even if the better gas mileage won't pay for it, it will give me a lot longer range between fill-ups -- which can be important in cross-country drives. 
And my F250 won't last forever, and better to end its run while still up (knock on wood) than when it's down.

Possible Order Configuration ...  F150 XLT Features & Specs

Maybe when I actually contact a dealer with my order (I'm sure I won't find exactly what I want on a lot) they'll tell me: "Yes, sir, we'll have your truck for you in just 18 months!"  Hope not...we'll see.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 September 2021 - 10:08 PM

Maybe when I actually contact a dealer with my order (I'm sure I won't find exactly what I want on a lot) they'll tell me: "Yes, sir, we'll have your truck for you in just 18 months!"  Hope not...we'll see.

Mark,if a dealer wants your business bad enough they will find one close to what you want

somewhere in the country.

I think your ideas are very sound. For us I'll stick with our 2002 Tundra.

For us just can't justify a new truck for the little we use it.

In 2012 we traded our 2006 Escape Hybrid (great car) for a new Escape the 4 cylinder turbo AWD.

The power of a turbo engine is incredible and the MPG about that of the Hybrid.

There were features of the car that after a couple years we didn't like.Mainly the comfort level.

Sold it and got a 2006 used Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We have had that car since 2015 and

it's one of the best cars we have ever owned.

Good luck in your search.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2021 - 10:35 PM

I think your ideas are very sound. For us I'll stick with our 2002 Tundra.

For us just can't justify a new truck for the little we use it.

I was out and about away from home, traveling and camping with truck and trailer, crossed the USA twice, for 6+ months straight last year, and I plan to do something similar beginning next month (probably).  So, whatever truck I have will definitely get plenty of use.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 September 2021 - 11:16 PM

Mark, I’m thinking about one, too.  I like most things* about my Ranger, but it is simply too small.

*what I don’t like are is the center dash control layout.  It’s not well lighted, and individual controls are difficult to find while driving (day or night).  The F150 may have the same issue.

I am haunted by waters

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 September 2021 - 11:26 PM

Looks like a very nice and comfortable truck for you, Mark! Both Julie and I very much enjoy the comfort and new safety features in Julie's 2019 Subaru, and it gets us thinking about a new truck. We've looked at and test driven what's out there and nothing has suited our needs and cried out, "Buy me, buy me!" I expect by the time we get around to it we may be thinking of a new designed camper also. That time is not here yet.

Keep us posted! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:05 AM

PM'd you

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#7 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:06 AM

Hi Mark
I would have thought you’d go for the v8.
I mean what happens when you have a small power plant tweaked.

Ford brought back a 7.3 push rod motor for the service industry for low end power simple maintenance.

https://www.motorver...boost-problems/

You have probably done plenty research just thought I’d throw this out there.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:09 AM

Hi Mark
I would have thought you’d go for the v8.
I mean what happens when you have a small power plant tweaked.

Ford brought back a 7.3 push rod motor for the service industry for low end power simple maintenance.

https://www.motorver...boost-problems/

You have probably done plenty research just thought I’d throw this out there.

Russ

Russ, I haven't done a lot of research yet.  I read good initial reviews, but I haven't dug beyond that.  Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:16 AM

I just found and watched this in-depth video from a guy comparing an F150 with the 5.0L V8 vs the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost.  It's based on his personal experience with both trucks engines, but he sounds like a knowledgeable truck-guy in general. His main point in favor of the 3.5L V6 is its superior low-end torque.

My primary use of a truck in the past year -- and in the foreseeable future -- is towing a travel trailer, so having tow-torque is something that's become more important to me than when I bought my F250 21 years ago. But I'd rather not buy a diesel.

152993230_5430004590357885_5231707856388752873_n.jpg

In the linked article titled "3.5 Ecoboost Problems", the first couple of paragraphs have an important qualifier:
"...Many of the problems with the 3.5 EcoBoost that we will discuss in this article relate to the first-generation model....In 2017, the second generation engine was launched, which helped to iron out many of the faults found in the first..."

I haven't decided for sure...yet.  :unsure:

#10 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:45 AM

I have a 2017 F150 4x4 Crew with the shorter 5.5 ft bed.  It has the 3.5L Ecoboost and I love it.  Also has the off road, sport & max tow pkg along with the large 36 gallon fuel tank.  The sport pkg in 2017 gave one the shifter on the center console, which I also like.  I tow a 23ft vintage Airstream with a gross weight of 5,200 lbs. and it hardly knows it's there.  This truck out performs the 1999 F250 4x4 with the 5.4L V8 I owned previously.  Much more enjoyable to drive and better mpg, even when towing.  The only thing I would do differently if ordering a new one today, would be to order one with the "payload" pkg., which gives one more breathing room if carrying a FWC loaded up with goodies.  I recall it is possible to get the payload pkg on a crew cab with the 6.5" bed as well as the various super cab configurations.  However, compared to 2017, for 2021, they played around with how the various packages are optioned out.  I actually got some quotes for a new unit with the payload pkg earlier this year but decided to not go that route.  I will say that do the supply situation one it will be tough to find anything below sticker, even if placing an order from the factory.  I did find one dealer in the Portland area who quoted at $1,000 below sticker in February.  I doubt that is the case today.  However, I believe there are now some $1,000 incentives for factory orders that are being advertised on TV.  Back in 2017 when I ordered my current rig, I shopped 8 dealers for a factory order (via e-mail) in the region and and ended up getting a very sweet discount of sticker.  Those days are gone for now though.

Prior to purchasing my truck in 2017, I searched the forums extensively for input on the newer 2nd gen Ecoboost, particularly the Airstream Forum site.  I found quite a bit of input from users towing trailers bigger than mine who were very pleased with the truck and engine.  Over the past 4 years, my sense is that other users continue to very happy with the truck and Ecoboost.  The only modification I made to my truck was to ditch the OEM tires the day after I took possession.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users