50 replies to this topic

#11 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:49 AM

I have a 2017 F150 4x4 Crew with the shorter 5.5 ft bed.  It has the 3.5L Ecoboost and I love it. ...

Prior to purchasing my truck in 2017, I searched the forums extensively for input on the newer 2nd gen Ecoboost, particularly the Airstream Forum site.  I found quite a bit of input from users towing trailers bigger than mine who were very pleased with the truck and engine.  Over the past 4 years, my sense is that other users continue to very happy with the truck and Ecoboost....

Hey TGK, thanks for the review!  All reviews are helpful, but I like positive ones the best because they don't make me doubt my path, change my mind.  :P 

From what I can see on Ford's site and on the master spec sheet, the "heavy duty payload package" isn't available on the Supercab with the 6.5-foot bed. Without that boost in payload it looks like the payload (for my configuration of interest) is about 2,200 pounds. But I'll talk to the dealer and see what's what regarding payload before I make a final decision.

I don't expect to get much of a deal -- in plague times. I accept that. This may be the last truck I ever buy.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 05:40 AM

Hey TGK, thanks for the review!  All reviews are helpful, but positive ones are best because they don't make me doubt my path, change my mind.  :P 

From what I can see on Ford's site and on the master spec sheet, the "heavy duty payload package" isn't available on the Supercab with the 6.5-foot bed. Without that boost in payload it looks like the payload (for my configuration of interest) is about 2,200 pounds. But I'll talk to the dealer and see what's what regarding payload before I make a final decision.

I don't expect to get much of a deal -- in plague times. I accept that. This may be the last truck I ever buy.

The quote I received in February was for a SuperCrew with the 6.5ft bed.  At the time, I was told the Hvy Duty Payload Pkg was not compatible with the FX4 (off road) & XLT Sport packages.  Of course, that was for 2021 models.  Any orders placed now would likely be 2022 and sometimes they juggle the packages around.  The key is to find a dealer with a good commercial/fleet guy who is familiar with the Hvy Dty Pkg. 

My experience has been that some of the sales people are clueless regarding the Payload option.  I always try to deal with the commercial guys.

The payload on my 2017 supercrew 5.5 ft bed was published as 1,765 lbs.  Also, my 2017 was ordered primarily as a daily driver and a tow rig.  A FWC was never mounted.  I would have ordered a different configuration had I wanted to mount a FWC.

#13 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:44 AM

So.... I wonder what my total payload is when camping with my FWC?  How much weight is added to the truck when my 2005 FWC Hawk and me and gear are on/in it?

#14 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 30 September 2021 - 01:32 PM

Mark, find a dealer with a fleet or commercial department, those salespersons are up to date with payloads and capacities. I had F150's before my Super Duty. They are very comfy vehicles.

#15 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:12 PM

FWIW I'm very happy with my 2015 F150 CC 4WD short box (5.5'). I have the smaller 2.7 liter twin turbo engine. Kept the old diesel F350 thinking I wouldn't want to use the 150 to  tow the camper but tried it early on after the 2018 purchase and loved it.  

I'm pretty sure some redesigns (2017 and newer?) have addressed a serious carboning up issue in the direct injection cylinder head. The direct injection nozzle tip was moved within the combustion chamber to cure the problem, as I understand it. Mine has done it and only a carefully and precision application of "Italian tuneup" (heavy dose of SeaFoam in the fuel tank along  with 93 octane nonethanol gasoline followed by a dozen or more intervals of foot-to-the-floor acceleration with a fully warmed  up engine) cured it.  

I can get an honest, hand calculated 14.5-15.5 mpg towing a 3,000 lb popup camper at 70 mph on  reasonably flat ground running the A/C.  It's 1.0 to 1.5 mpg better than the old 7.3 diesel can do with the same tow.  Differential in fuel prices add to the fuel cost per mile savings.  

Foy

Edited by Foy, 30 September 2021 - 02:13 PM.

#16 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:50 PM

Talk to a dealer and get up to date availability per cab/bed configuration on the payload pkg. Ford has changed that spec since first offering it. 

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:49 PM

A bigger question, perhaps, than payload:
Should I continue to match truck color to RV color? 🤔

FB_IMG_1633027342034.jpg IMG_20191016_163739.jpg

#18 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:57 PM

A bigger question, perhaps, than payload:
Should I continue to match truck color to RV color?

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1633027342034.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20191016_163739.jpg

The first time I had my new "Ingot Silver" F150 hooked up to our old Airstream in front of our house, my neighbor commented "so, you have the silver thing going on"?.  Turns out I also appear to have an "aluminum" thing going on.

How do you like your Escape trailer?  is that the 21ft unit?  For a while we considered letting go of our 50 year old trailer and getting a newer unit.  Not particularly interested in the new Airstreams but we did consider an Escape.  A few years back we drove up to BC to the factory for a closer look (I understand they have new ownership now).

In the end, we decided to postpone any changes on the RV side for now.

Edited by TGK, 30 September 2021 - 07:00 PM.

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:15 PM

How do you like your Escape trailer? ...

I sent you a PM about this.

#20 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 01 October 2021 - 01:37 AM

good luck with your search.  u will like the newer vehicle/technology. i got a 2015 gmc with 6.5 bed, and smaller rear seating, and v8. put atc pop up on it this spring. on my last trip from portland to the wallowas overlooking hells canyon and back, the truck averaged +17 mpg. on the freeways i get +19 mpg, if i keep the speedo under 65.  my atc is a shell model, and right now with battery , fridge, awning, i think i am at about 950 lbs - it hardly feels like a load.

just purchased a new to me, 2019 small mazda suv.  really like it for a city driver.  but am somewhat surprised at their AC, and fan countrols - u actually have to look down from the windshield to find the little push buttons....

Oregon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users