New Tires Needed

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#11 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:00 AM

We currently have a year on our Wildpeaks on a ‘08 Silverado through a ski season, quite a few forest roads, and a DVNP trip. We’re building another rig. It’ll have 35/12.5 R17 Wildpeaks. They aren’t as good in the snow as studded Hakkapeliitta’s, but what is? The bottom like is they’re good enough that we never felt we needed to swap out to dedicated snows. We’re up the hill 3x/week.

#12 ronaldos

ronaldos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 12:42 PM

I recommend Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST, I am using it and very satisfied with these tyres. We run very heavy loads and these tires are the best we have found.

Edited by ronaldos, 30 October 2021 - 01:05 PM.

#13 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:23 PM

We decided to try 8 ply Continental Terrain Contacts. Been to Utah  and AZ 3 times from Portland. Good on highway, quiet, and very good on the backroads and 4WD tracks. Will probably stick with them when they wear out. Very little wear so far.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 25 October 2021 - 02:24 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#14 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 25 October 2021 - 03:05 PM

Thanks again for all of your replies. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 October 2021 - 03:21 AM

Previous tires on our CTD/Camper were Yokohama GO15 A/T's in a 315/70R17 size. We got about 50k out of them. IF I recall correctly they were Load Range D's with a 50 psi max cold pressure rating. I ran them at 50 on the pavement and at 40 on the rougher dirt stretches. I thought them to be great tires, Plenty of traction in every condition that we encountered, hiway snow, hot desert pavement, sand, gravel, the usual Left Coast range of surfaces, just no off pavement deep snow.  Did get into some moderately deep icy snow on Sherman Pass one trip, but they handled that without drama as well. One interesting observation is that they would chirp from the rear Power-Lock in tight parking lot turns when the previous Goodyear DuraTracs of the same size did not do that. I recently had to replace them and the GO15's were not available. I had to go with the ages-old stand-by, BFG A/T's in the same size. These are Load Range E's, we'll see how those work out. The BFG's do seem to be physically shorter than the Yoko's were. I am seeing about two miles per hour slower at the same highway cruising engine RPM with the BFG's than I saw with the Yokos.

Have a set of the same Yoko GO15 A/T tire in 31-10.50 on our 4rnnr and I have been very impressed with them. I have been in deep off pavement snow with them and the truck had no trouble following the JK on 37's that was breaking trail. I'm sure that the dual ARB's helped in that situation, but the tires had to do their part too or the whole thing would have fallen apart.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 27 October 2021 - 07:30 AM

Bepfre leaving for Alaska I bought four new Michelin Agilis® CrossClimate M/S Tires in 235 85 R16 for my Dodge W250 ClubCab Diesel Longbed carrying an 2007 FWC Keystone.   

They worked well on and off pavement in dry and wet conditions and tire wear seems to be good a but they were not quite as good on snow as I recall my Michelin Defender tires were. However, the locations of use and the conditions were not exactly the same and my memory may very well be faulty.    Neve-the-less I am happy with the tires so far (over 6,000 miles in 3 months).  

Edit:  They run quiet and are 3 peak rated

Edited by ckent323, 01 November 2021 - 05:01 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#17 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 03:56 PM

Up and back to the cabin yesterday and the howling of the tires is driving me nuts. I may not get the full mileage out of these Toyos before I go deaf, so new shoes soon! Thanks all. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#18 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 10:31 PM

I couldn't get Wildpeaks for our new rig, so I settled on snowflake rated A/T IIIs. 

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:33 PM

Previous tires on our CTD/Camper were Yokohama GO15 A/T's in a 315/70R17 size. We got about 50k out of them. IF I recall correctly they were Load Range D's with a 50 psi max cold pressure rating. I ran them at 50 on the pavement and at 40 on the rougher dirt stretches. I thought them to be great tires, Plenty of traction in every condition that we encountered, hiway snow, hot desert pavement, sand, gravel, the usual Left Coast range of surfaces, just no off pavement deep snow.  Did get into some moderately deep icy snow on Sherman Pass one trip, but they handled that without drama as well. One interesting observation is that they would chirp from the rear Power-Lock in tight parking lot turns when the previous Goodyear DuraTracs of the same size did not do that. I recently had to replace them and the GO15's were not available. I had to go with the ages-old stand-by, BFG A/T's in the same size. These are Load Range E's, we'll see how those work out. The BFG's do seem to be physically shorter than the Yoko's were. I am seeing about two miles per hour slower at the same highway cruising engine RPM with the BFG's than I saw with the Yokos.

Have a set of the same Yoko GO15 A/T tire in 31-10.50 on our 4rnnr and I have been very impressed with them. I have been in deep off pavement snow with them and the truck had no trouble following the JK on 37's that was breaking trail. I'm sure that the dual ARB's helped in that situation, but the tires had to do their part too or the whole thing would have fallen apart.

+1 for the Yoko Geolandar G015.  Have them on the 2006 chev and will buy the same for the 2015 we have the camper on now.  work well in snow/gravel/pavement.

#20 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:59 PM

Hmm, I’ll add the Yokos to the list. I had two sets in p-metric (different model if I recall) on the Suburban. Neither set made it to the mileage warranty but America’s Tire made good on the credit. Perhaps the LT versions are tougher. As always, thanks for all the suggestions. 

Added: as I get older (and wiser?  ha ha) quiet tires become more important. I’m not rockcrawling so big voids in the tread are not necessary. I’ve also elected not to go with my favorite Flowmaster exhaust for the same reason.

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users