#41 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 01 January 2022 - 04:29 PM

đź‘Ť

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#42 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 03:44 PM

The wife and I headed up to the cabin several days ago, a 2-1/2 hour trip up with 2 hours of freeway driving and the balance on a twisty mountain road. The Toyos were howling (48k miles on a 50k warranty) and the wife was not impressed, so on went some new shoes yesterday. As reported earlier, I’ve been wrestling with a choice between the latest Toyo AT3s or Michelin LTX M/S. After much hand wringing I bought the Michelins. I really liked the look and offroad performance of the Toyos but an objective analysis of my current driving habits with this truck (vs my former Dodge) really pointed to the Michelins. The VAST majority of miles are highway and my current offroad ventures are mainly FS roads, etc. Lowering tire pressures should make something like the Mojave Rd doable with these tires. And if I can pick up a bit of fuel efficiency…bonus. Thanks for all the input and I’ll report back. 

Addendum: I ended up buying the tires at America’s Tire, which is where I originally bought the Toyos. They matched the discounted Costco price and had me outta there in about 45 minutes. 

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 20 April 2022 - 03:46 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#43 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 April 2022 - 03:54 PM

The wife and I headed up to the cabin several days ago, a 2-1/2 hour trip up with 2 hours of freeway driving and the balance on a twisty mountain road. The Toyos were howling (48k miles on a 50k warranty) and the wife was not impressed, so on went some new shoes yesterday. As reported earlier, I’ve been wrestling with a choice between the latest Toyo AT3s or Michelin LTX M/S. After much hand wringing I bought the Michelins. I really liked the look and offroad performance of the Toyos but an objective analysis of my current driving habits with this truck (vs my former Dodge) really pointed to the Michelins. The VAST majority of miles are highway and my current offroad ventures are mainly FS roads, etc. Lowering tire pressures should make something like the Mojave Rd doable with these tires. And if I can pick up a bit of fuel efficiency…bonus. Thanks for all the input and I’ll report back. 

Addendum: I ended up buying the tires at America’s Tire, which is where I originally bought the Toyos. They matched the discounted Costco price and had me outta there in about 45 minutes. 

Good thought process on what tire meets your needs.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#44 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:17 PM

have run Toyos and Michelin LTX on our 05 Tundra with Ocelot camper. got 60K on the LTX and had tread left. Toyos were good too. Running Cooper on the 21 Tundra with a Cougar and happy so far. Also, did have a set of KO2s inbetween the Toyos and Michelins on the 05 and they crapped out at 25K.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#45 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 22 April 2022 - 01:02 PM

have run Toyos and Michelin LTX on our 05 Tundra with Ocelot camper. got 60K on the LTX and had tread left. Toyos were good too. Running Cooper on the 21 Tundra with a Cougar and happy so far. Also, did have a set of KO2s inbetween the Toyos and Michelins on the 05 and they crapped out at 25K.

not funny, but kind of funny how all our experiences are different... I got 37k on the LTX without a camper, hated them.. Cooper discoverer AT3 got about 40 k... super happy with the KO2 so far, about 15k on them and they still look brand new...

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#46 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 03:03 PM

Just bought a set of Michelin LTX M/S for my Silverado. I always get great wear from Michelins

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2013 FWC Hawk

#47 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 April 2022 - 03:35 PM

not funny, but kind of funny how all our experiences are different... I got 37k on the LTX without a camper, hated them.. Cooper discoverer AT3 got about 40 k... super happy with the KO2 so far, about 15k on them and they still look brand new...

IMO the make and model of truck we drive, along with the balance (front or rear weighted) are a big factor in wear for a particular tire.  Along with other factors like driving style (passive vs. aggressive), roads driven (winding, abrasive), . . . 

I replaced Cooper A/T3s with Falken Wildpeak A/T2Ws 5500 miles ago.  I got 49,704 miles out of the Coopers but one tire started cupping at ~28,000 miles.  If I remember correctly (bad assumption) the Falkens are better in the snow.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#48 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 April 2022 - 04:07 PM

Definitely. What works well on Tundra may not work well on big heavy diesel 3/4 ton P.U. or even a truck with stock suspension vs, an aftermarket suspension.  So far I'm happy with my Falken Wildpeaks but I haven't really had them offroad yet. I could easily have talked myself into another set of Coopers. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#49 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 07:02 PM

The comments re: different experiences on different vehicles are spot on. My Dodge ran KO2s for awhile, great offroad but I could only get about 25k out of them. The Dodge came from the factory with Michelin LTXs on it (1996) and they may have been some of the worst tires I’ve ever driven in snow. Hopefully these new Defenders are better some 26 years later. 

My needs and driving style have certainly changed over the years, that’s for sure!

Richard

#50 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 April 2022 - 06:37 PM

We are getting ready for a big trip this summer to cross the Trans Labrador Highway as well as a bunch of more remote travel in Eastern Canada this summer.

The Toyo AT3’s I currently have on My F-350 are OK and I could easily get another 5-10K of street driving out of them but due to the nature of our route I decided to get new shoes…

O M G !

Tire prices have literally gone through the roof recently AND are getting scarce.  The total price came out to over $1800 and TireRack is currently out of stock…Hopefully  they’ll get them back in stock in a couple of weeks..

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users