72 replies to this topic

#71 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 11 August 2022 - 02:20 PM

I think weight index is only part of the equation. My Toyota came with P rated tires that only made it about 20,000 miles, mostly on Forest Service roads and no serious off roading. One road in particular was full of sharp rocks that were just too much for the P rated tire. Went to E rated all terrain tires with no regrets. Only lost about 1 mpg on fuel mileage and would never consider P rated for any sort of off road use, even just light duty tooling around on Forest Service roads.

I went through 2 sets of Toyo Open Country AT 2 and got almost 70,000 miles on each set.  But they were kind of noisy and it only got worse as the tires wore down. Currently have about 50,000 miles on a set of Hankook Dynapro AT2 and have been happy with them so far.

So it is not just me - I am replacing the original tires at less than 20,000. and it sounds like my use is similar to yours - well, even my driveway is rather rough. 

I think the Toyos have  more aggressive tread than I need and you are not the first to mention the noise. After years of big, noisy tires on another truck I have been spoiled by my "passenger" tires. 

Thank you for your response. 

#72 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 11 August 2022 - 02:43 PM

Tire Load index appears to be a way to overly complicate something that used to be rather simple. We now require a chart so that we can look up a tire's max weight rating rather than simply putting that rating directly on the tire's sidewall.

What would be much more helpful would be a chart that adjusts the max weight rating to less than max tire pressure. I run all of my tires at the pressure that gives me the best tire wear, and that has never been the max tire pressure.

One thing that I did find in my abbreviated research this morning was the recommendation that the new tires have a weight index number that equal the original tires or is a bigger number. Never use a tire with a smaller number.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#73 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:17 PM

Tire Load index appears to be a way to overly complicate something that used to be rather simple. We now require a chart so that we can look up a tire's max weight rating rather than simply putting that rating directly on the tire's sidewall.

What would be much more helpful would be a chart that adjusts the max weight rating to less than max tire pressure. I run all of my tires at the pressure that gives me the best tire wear, and that has never been the max tire pressure.

One thing that I did find in my abbreviated research this morning was the recommendation that the new tires have a weight index number that equal the original tires or is a bigger number. Never use a tire with a smaller number.

I bolded the part that I have been thinking about. The max pressure listed on the door of the truck is less than the max pressure printed on the tire which means (at least to me) that the tires may not be able to support the weight as if the tires were at maximum. I've also wondered if my uneven wear (outside edge) could be a result of too little pressure for the load (as I said before - I don't have other symptoms of alignment problems)  but I'd expect wear on both edges if it were under inflation. 

I do know to look for an equal or higher weight index but I am still concerned about the sidewall strength of a passenger tire even with a higher index number - as was just mentioned by Sleddog. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users