Photo

Long Term Storage Voltage With Battle Born 100AH Battery?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 01 October 2021 - 04:44 PM

If you disconnect or store your BB battery with all leads connected with no input or output current AND you first fully charged the battery [14.4V] before storing; when storing the battery in this condition for days or weeks, what is the voltage reading once it initially stabilizes after full charge and then over what time period does the battery drop voltage to what level?

Thanks...Phil

Ps...Just watched a BB video and the full charge & balancing of the cells on a BB is reached when battery is held at 14.4V for 15-20mins.  That was news to me.  I thought you charged to 14.4V until the amperage from charger went to 0.00A; full battery and therefore not accepting more charge.  Guess cell balancing depends not on current but sustain voltage?  Even "unbalanced" BB says that you only temporarily lose 1% of capacity and it does not damage battery.

Edited by Wallowa, 02 October 2021 - 12:25 AM.

#2 RKDowdle

RKDowdle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:57 AM

I’m thinking about upgrading to the Battleborn lithium batteries. Based on your experience, do feel that the additional cost is warranted?

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:53 PM

https://battlebornba...your-batteries/

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:21 PM

Can't get the video to play...but having watched this before, in the comments a person mentions a 2-3% SOC drop per day in an "RV"; in my Hawk the Master Switch does nicely to shut down outgoing current, obviously in the "RV" that person has a lot of outgoing current...hence the key when storage is to eliminate any outgoing current, so called parasitic discharge; charge battery to full or near full and then monitor it from time to time...the BB internal BMS should protect from going too low of an SOC but 20% SOC seems to be a reasonable lower SOC for the battery over the long term....temp is another issue...I have a BB internally heated battery...at cold temps the BMS again should protect against damage from trying to charge a Li [BB] battery when it is below freezing [BB 25*] but the heating element automatically keeps the battery from going too low and shuts off at 45*..

"RK"...Is a Li BB battery worth the effort and money?  I will never go back to AGM; but that is a personal choice...at all levels they make sense to me....

Edited by Wallowa, 14 October 2021 - 03:22 PM.

#5 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:01 AM

I’m thinking about upgrading to the Battleborn lithium batteries. Based on your experience, do feel that the additional cost is warranted?

Are you talking about the cost of upgrading from lead-acid batteries, or the cost of buying BB versus another brand of lithium?

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users