#11 Marblehead

Marblehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationQuincy IL

Posted 05 October 2021 - 11:03 AM

Yes, the different battery types mean that the charging profiles are not ideal.   

And to clarify, the battery separator is designed to prevent either the camper or the truck from discharging the other.  Meaning if you left your truck lights on, the separator would disconnect the camper battery once the truck battery got too low, and vice versa, if you are using too much power in the camper, the separator disconnect the truck battery so you can start it and go home.  

AND, it is designed to allow a charging source to charge both battery banks, regardless of where that charge originates.

Thanks Vic, I didn't know the separator would work in both directions and that appears to be what's happening. 

My separator must have detected low voltage in my truck battery and sent power to it in addition to my camper batteries.  It sounds as though it is working correctly and would explain why my truck battery tender would not go into float mode with the battery showing 13+V

I am now suspecting my truck battery is having issues. The trickle charge is good as I checked it on another vehicle and it does go into float mode.   The folks at Interstate Battery told me my truck battery was at 12.4V and suggested my battery needed a proper charging/reconditioning.  The Vector Battery charger I used at home indicated the battery was full and would not accept any charge or reconditioning.

More sleuthing today....

Steve

2015 Ford F-250 4X4 6.2 gas Supercab.  2018 FWC Flatbed Grandby.  Norweld 8 ft. Aluminum Bed/Tray. Alu-Cab 270* Shadow Awning. Overland 160 Semi-Flexible Solar Panel.

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:34 AM

My bride got me this for Christmas one year: https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B000A8MMQM It has really been very useful in working with starting batteries.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:54 AM

My separator must have detected low voltage in my truck battery and sent power to it in addition to my camper batteries. It sounds as though it is working correctly and would explain why my truck battery tender would not go into float mode with the battery showing 13+V

That’s not really how the Blue Sea ACR is triggered. Here is a good discussion from the Blue Sea web site:
https://www.bluesea.com/resources/58

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 October 2021 - 02:31 AM

That’s not really how the Blue Sea ACR is triggered. Here is a good discussion from the Blue Sea web site:

Jon R is right (as usual  :D ).

#15 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:54 PM

When my camper batteries reach a high enough voltage, and I can’t remember the exact number, the BlueSea closes and connects to the truck, thus charging the truck batteries. I have solar so my truck batteries and camper batteries are usually always topped off.

#16 Marblehead

Marblehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationQuincy IL

Posted 06 October 2021 - 08:09 PM

My bride got me this for Christmas one year: https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B000A8MMQM It has really been very useful in working with starting batteries.

you're bride is a keeper!

Thanks Jon, that's the kind of info I need

Steve

2015 Ford F-250 4X4 6.2 gas Supercab.  2018 FWC Flatbed Grandby.  Norweld 8 ft. Aluminum Bed/Tray. Alu-Cab 270* Shadow Awning. Overland 160 Semi-Flexible Solar Panel.

#17 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 06 October 2021 - 10:33 PM

When my camper batteries reach a high enough voltage, and I can’t remember the exact number, the BlueSea closes and connects to the truck, thus charging the truck batteries. I have solar so my truck batteries and camper batteries are usually always topped off.

The spec page for the Blue Sea ACR says it will close the relay when it senses at least 13.6 volts for 30 seconds or 13.0 volts for 90 seconds. It will open the relay when voltage drops below 12.35 volts for 10 seconds or 12.75 volts for 30 seconds.

https://www.bluesea...._12_24V_DC_120A

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#18 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 October 2021 - 01:23 AM

you're bride is a keeper!

Thanks! I kinda think so too. Kind of ironic that the most important test that I've made with it was her car's battery after the Dealership said it was fine and after it stranded her and our 4 yo grand-daughter 50+ miles from home.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#19 Marblehead

Marblehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationQuincy IL

Posted 08 October 2021 - 04:29 PM

Thank you all again for the input.  It's obvious to me I need more than a bit of education on the ACR and how it works.

I was just thrown a curve ball by not being able to get my truck battery to float.  All the while everything was operating as it should.

I believe I will spend more time in this forum reading and increasing my knowledge of all things electronic on my rig.

Steve

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users