#1 Conestoga

Conestoga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAlameda, Ca

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:23 PM

The folding faucet on the flush mounted sink in our Hawk has developed a leak around the base. Suspected cause is that the plastic has cracked where the hoses are threaded in. Has anyone replaced this unit with a metal one such as Dometic AC542 or others? It has been mentioned that the brass split nut securing the faucet to the sink can be removed by hand, but not so in our case as it is tight. Removing the sink from the cabinet seems to be the best solution to get access unless someone has another idea.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:52 PM

I used this one - Amazon.com: Shurflo 94-009-01 Galley Faucet with Single Control : Automotive

#3 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:19 PM

If  you mean the spout where water comes out was leaking at the base (so water was pooling where the faucet comes out of the sink, on top of the sink), I repaired mine.  It had cracks in the base, and was leaking.  The threads are completely worn.  It just slides on and off now. 

I put super glue on the cracks, and put a zip tie around it to hold it all tight while it dried.  (I did this while the part was off the sink).   I ended up leaving the  zip tie on it, as it's  barely noticeable.  And now it slides onto the bottom of the faucet tightly and does not leak. 

But after re-reading your post I think you might mean it is leaking under the sink in the cabinets.  I don't think I'd trust a glue repair down there. 

Edited by wicked1, 05 October 2021 - 07:24 PM.

#4 Conestoga

Conestoga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAlameda, Ca

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the information guys. Our camper is plumbed for hot & cold water. The faucet that Vic used looks very nice  but we need both hot & cold. I appreciate the repair advice using super glue but as you suspected, it is an under sink issue. I hope someone can tell us if the AC542 will physically fit, if so it looks like a more robust unit.

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 October 2021 - 01:02 AM

Electric Faucet (Hot and Cold) – Dr. Björn's Auto (vanagonwestfaliaparts.com)

#6 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:16 AM

I went with this one, all metal and better quality than the cheap plastic stock.

Amazon.com: LOYALHEARTDY Caravan Boat Kitchen Foldable Faucet Folding Tap Hot Cold Water 360° Rotation RV : Automotive

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#7 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:41 PM

bsharp- I like it. Is the copper inside the faucet coated like the outside?

#8 Conestoga

Conestoga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAlameda, Ca

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:25 PM

We replaced the plastic folding faucet which is prone to cracking & leaking with the all metal Dometic AC542 folding faucet. It does fit the oval glass top sink in our Hawk perfectly. We did remove the check valves in the 1/2"NPT male hose ends as they interfered with the factory female connection & were of no use in this application. This faucet was not much more expensive than the inferior plastic unit, but seems to be of higher quality. Only time and lots of trips will tell.  Attached photos of the installation.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0146.jpg
  • IMG_0148.jpg
  • IMG_0149.jpg

#9 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 30 October 2021 - 02:50 PM

We replaced the plastic folding faucet which is prone to cracking & leaking with the all metal Dometic AC542 folding faucet. It does fit the oval glass top sink in our Hawk perfectly. We did remove the check valves in the 1/2"NPT male hose ends as they interfered with the factory female connection & were of no use in this application. This faucet was not much more expensive than the inferior plastic unit, but seems to be of higher quality. Only time and lots of trips will tell. Attached photos of the installation.

We are also replacing the factory faucet with this one. It seems like a substantial upgrade. Did you have to remove the sink to install it? Also, how did you remove the check valves?

Thanks!
-Scott

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#10 Conestoga

Conestoga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAlameda, Ca

Posted 30 October 2021 - 04:54 PM

Removing the sink will make the project easier. In our case we weren't able to loosen the split brass nut on the plastic faucet without lifting the sink. We also weren't able to remove the drain hose from the sink fitting which complicated the project a little bit. Lifting the sink is not difficult, only a bit messy in dealing with the butyl sealing tape. Once you remove the caps on the lid bumpers the screws for the 3 retaining clips will reveal themselves. They are not Allen but Torx head screws that match the lid. You don't have to totally remove them, only to loosen them a bit as they are quarter turn. The check valves are a push fit in the 1/2" male fitting, only held in by the friction of an
o-ring. A little prying will pop them out. Beware when tighting the hoses that the hose ends don't swivel, only the camper fitting does. From there small hands,
a new vocabulary and patience will get the job done. Another tip, open the hose storage door on the outside of the camper which will let in light through the thin plastic compartment to your workspace instead of using a flashlight. In hindsite I wondered if it would have been possible to remove the front of the cabinet instead of trying to work in the small cubby space. We are in Alameda if more information is needed. Good luck with your project, I'm sure you will enjoy the improvement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users