Photo
- - - - -

Winter Camping Suggestions, and how to camp in mountain areas in winter?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 02:51 PM

I'm looking for suggestions for winter camping.  Last year we did some southern forests.  Some deserts in the west.  But I'm interested in playing in the snow, too.  I have seen posts from people who camp and ski all winter.  I'm curious where.. 

Are there dispersed camping opportunities in/near the mountains in the winter?  I know most of the roads get closed and impassable.    And probably worth mentioning, I don't really ski. I have seen some people mention parking at ski resorts..  But I just want to be near the mountains in the snow.  Do some snow shoeing.  Let the kid ride a sled. 

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 October 2021 - 03:05 PM

California and Oregon have SnoPark sites for access to winter recreation (other states may have a similar program). Some do and some don't allow overnight camping, check the site regulations. Also in California the parking lot at the south entrance to Lassen National Park is open in the winter with a designated area for overnight. Bunny Flat on the south side of Mount Shasta is similar. Some of the SnoParks are primarily used by snowmobiles so check that out also. This is a start. :)

Note - Lassen National Park was greatly affected by this summer's Dixie Fire so check out reports on its impact to specific areas.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users