• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 losttaco

losttaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:34 AM

Hello, I am currently in the process of building out my fleet shell. Hot water is something I would love to have. 

From my understanding FWC currently uses an "Attwood/Dometic" 6 Gallon in tank water heater.  

Overland X uses the tankless "Truma" brand. 

My research has kinda shown me pros and cons to both. I am trying to find some more direct advice. I was originally intrigued by the tanked heaters. Thinking it would heat up, hold temp for longer, and I would be able to hold more water.(Fill it when i fill my fresh water tank).  They both run off propane and use 12 volt to ignite. I plan on using a 12-16 gallon fresh water tank. I also planned on plumbing in an out door shower. I laid out some parts tonight and the hot water should fit right under my sink. 

Options right now are:

Suburban 4 or 6 Gallon Tank Water Heater 

Attwood / Dometic 6 Gallon Water heater

Fogatti Tankless Water Heater  

Thanks for any input, heres a few pics. 

IMG-9255.jpg
IMG-9256.jpg
IMG-9180.jpg

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 October 2021 - 05:35 AM

One thing I read about on demand heaters for RVs is that they aren’t recommended if you are trying to conserve water. Each time you turn them on the water runs for several seconds before it gets hot. I have no experience myself with how much water gets wasted due to this.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 10 October 2021 - 03:32 PM

I would prefer a tank material that does not need a anode rod.  Less cleaning, less mess and no chunks to plug up faucet / shower heads.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:10 AM

Current delivery required to support flow for a shower is going to be the big problem. To heat 1 gallon per minute from 40F to 110F with a 100% efficient heater would require 32,600 BTU/hr or 9750 watts. Heating 5 gallons would use about 800 watt-hours, or about 67 amp-hours, More importantly, 1 gallon per minute delivery would require 800 amps at 12 volts. Even if you back off to 1/2 gal/min it requires 400 amps. A Battleborn 100 Ah battery has a max discharge rating of 100 amps.

Another way to look at it is a full charge of a 100Ah battery stores about 4,000 BTUs. One of the ten gallon propane tanks stores nearly 1,000,000 BTUs.

Edited by Jon R, 14 October 2021 - 02:35 AM.

Jon R

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:18 AM

Small points...hot water tank when drained into main tank give you a hedge in the winter against freezing lines...and as stated you carry 6 gallons more potable water...

#6 losttaco

losttaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:18 AM

Current delivery required to support flow for a shower is going to be the big problem. To heat 1 gallon per minute from 40F to 110F with a 100% efficient heater would require 32,600 BTU/hr or 9750 watts. Heating 5 gallons would use about 800 watt-hours, or about 67 amp-hours, More importantly, 1 gallon per minute delivery would require 800 amps at 12 volts. Even if you back off to 1/2 gal/min it requires 400 amps. A Battleborn 100 Ah battery has a max discharge rating of 100 amps.

Another way to look at it is a full charge of a 100Ah battery stores about 4,000 BTUs. One of the ten gallon propane tanks stores nearly 1,000,000 BTUs.

Thanks for the information. I do agree an electric water heater is out of the question. I planned on using the propane units. The two that would fit the best are the Fogatti models by Recpro. one is a 42,000 but and other 55,000 btu.

From what I have found out a lot of people replace the suburban 4/6 gallon water heaters with these.

IMG-9331.png

IMG-9332.png

#7 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:03 AM

Losttaco - you were clear that you are looking at propane heaters. I was responding to ramblinChet saying he was considering an electric heater. I should have quoted his message.

Jon R

#8 losttaco

losttaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:23 AM

I am working through a similar issue although I would like to build using a 12V tankless water system.

Yes, it would use a significant amount of energy but with a few large solar panels up top and maybe 200-300 Ah of LiFePO4 battery available I believe it would work. If anyone has done this I would love to learn more.

Losttaco - you were clear that you are looking at propane heaters. I was responding to ramblinChet saying he was considering an electric heater. I should have quoted his message.

Just seeing his post now.  I have seen some school bus set ups with electric water heaters but they usually ran them off shore power / had a lot of solar and lithium batteries. 

I think I am going to amazon one of the models above and try it out. I plan on doing some ski resort camping this winter and would appreciate anything thats not outside temp!

#9 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 04:27 AM

You are correct, sir!

Jon R

#10 MaverickMTB

MaverickMTB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 12:07 AM

I was interested in the Truma. I liked that it’s a combination heater and water heater. I believe it holds around 2 gallons, so has at least some hot water holding capacity and is able to replenish as you draw down the hot water. I was considering ordering the “JP Products” version which appears to be a Chinese copy of the Truma Combi. My old camper had the Suburban tanked heater and it worked very well. When it was around 10 years old the tank rusted out and I replaced it with the same model. Very easy to swap out and six gallons of hot water was a pleasure to have at the end of a sweaty day. At around $400… the Suburban is hard to beat for the price!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users