Photo

Cooking at high elevations - What do you use?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:22 PM

Hi folks-

We just came back from an epic trip to Colorado and Utah exploring the high country and places not so high in our newly built Jeep Gladiator (trip report soon hopefully..) and we ran into a slight problem one night…

We were camping at Little Molas Lake just outside Silverton at an elevation of 10,960 feet. It was cold (~30 degrees) and sleeting. We deployed our awning and got to work making a nice warm dinner but to my surprise and dismay we were not able to keep the propane stove lit. Now at the time I seemed to recall something about propane and higher elevations not playing nice together but coming from the East Coast it was never really a concern. So we ended up eating sandwiches and going to bed early.

The next day when we were in Silverton, and had cell service, we did read how propane doesn’t perform well above about 9000 feet.

So the question for those of you that venture that high what do you use when cooking above 10,000 feet?

Attached Files

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:41 PM

Backpacking stoves use isobutane, seems to have a higher tolerance for elevation and cold

#3 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:35 PM

Get a JetBoil, which uses isobutane/propane fuel canisters they work well for us from below sea level (Death Valley) to over 10,000 feet in hot to cold weather. Not very good for frying, but works well for dehydrated backpacking meals.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 17 October 2021 - 10:36 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:37 PM

I will use a propane or isobutane stove up to about 7000' or 20ºF.  Higher and/or colder I switch to a white gas, hand pump pressurized stove (MSR XGK or Coleman 2 burner).

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:20 AM

We have camped at 11,000 feet and had no issues using our built in SMEV propane stove. We have camped many many times above 10,000 and had no issue with the stove or furnace. With chainsaws the fuel/air mixture has to be adjusted as you go up in elevation - and remember to readjust when you get home. Modern vehicles with computers and fuel injection work around the issues with high elevation. We were recently parked at 12,500 feet. I should have tested the appliances. I will do so next time.

Good reminder on this issue.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 02:41 AM

I've never had my camper or other propane appliances that high in elevation.  Backpacking trips I use white gas stove which offers a good adjustable flame.  The popular fuel canisters apparently are difficult to simmer but are outstanding for boiling water which is the main thing that backpacker are usually doing.   When I do end up going to White Mountain trailhead I need to remember to bring the white gas stove..

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:37 PM

I've never had an issue with propane at altitude. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 06:25 PM

I wonder if coming from the East coast there was a higher percentage of butane in the propane tank? That causes issues in the cold round here in Minnesota.

Good luck, Bigfoot Dave

#9 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:44 PM

Just the opposite.  Butane is added to propane and gasoline to raise the vapor pressure in cold weather (i.e. the propane more readily vaporizes to a usable pressure). 

The only issue I am aware of is: it is the main cause of lower gas milage in winter blended gasoline.

Edited by JaSAn, 18 October 2021 - 07:45 PM.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#10 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:50 PM

I have had no problems at that altitude or higher with any of my propane stoves (ATCs, old Coleman or my backpacking stove).

is Avalanche brewery/pizza still open in Silverton?  Haven’t been to Silverton since COVID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users