25 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:32 PM

I like the simple, smaller lifting panel in the bison overland camper. I do wonder about its strength in holding the load since it has a much smaller span. I also like the windows in the bison. Who has the best sideliner material? Is there an insulated waterproof breathable that would help with condensation?

Is four corner linear actuators the best way to go for both strength and ease of raising and lowering?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 12 November 2021 - 03:29 PM

I like the idea of a fixed cabin like the Overland Explorer Base-Camp.  An interesting option for a dedicated truck camper.  I rarely take my slide-in camper off the truck and could just as easily have rented a pickup for the day. 

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#13 DavidinPhx

DavidinPhx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 10:23 PM

Monte another for your list.On our walk every morning I have noticed one

of our neighbors has a new pop up I haven't seen before.At a glance it looks like

the Project M from FWC but doesn't have the same rear door as the FWC.

Today I got a closer look at the name. It's a  OVRLAN pop up camper out of
Flagstaff,Az.

Very similar to the FWC project M.It has a ton of options and claims weight

of 400#+/-.

Base price around that of the "M".   

Haven't talked to the owner yet.

Frank

I have had an Ovrlnd camper on my 3rd Gen Tundra since February 2021. My wife and I really love it. We just came back from our fourth trip in it. This time it was a very rugged, and brushy off camber trail, and the thing was rock solid on it. They are very stout! 

Things to know: these are built somewhat the way air frames are built. The construction is 1x2 1/8 inch aluminum welded frame with 1/16th aluminum skin bonded with VHB and riveted. There’s hardly any screws used outside. The workmanship is extremely good. However they’re slightly industrial looking on the outside. The roof is curved slightly front to back and side to side (no oil canning). These are made semi custom to fit specific trucks, and Jay (Wellman) the owner and designer is great about doing pretty much whatever you’d like structurally. He doesn’t typically do full interior builds other than some modular 8020 frame boxes that he makes as well. i’ve also seen him make these to fit older Broncos and other unique vehicles.

My camper with a number of options (half barn doors, side hatch windows, Maxx fan, additional headroom) weight is 362 pounds. That’s measured by me on a CAT scale having weighed the truck bone stock previously, and then the camper empty when new. I have since added some 8020 interior structure and I’m probably up around 450 pounds dry. Regardless, fully packed, 15 gallons of water, stocked fridge propane, etc, with my wife and me we’re still well under GVWR. Don’t really feel the weight off road or on the road, however the wind profile does create a little bit of a drag.

The bed slides out to slightly larger than full queen size (81 by 65) with about 3’ of standing and move around the room at the rear of the truck bed. With the bed pushed back, the full length of the truckbed is available. Also the floor of the bed space over the cab is a composite, so somewhat insulated. And at 6’2” I can stand fully upright with my arms partially stretched out to my elbows.  

The two main criteria for buying this particular camper were 1) having the ruggedness to stand up to fairly heavy off-road use and pounding on washboard roads at higher speeds, and 2) at 69 with some back issues being able to stand up fully and stretch as well as having room on the floor to lay down and do some of my back maintenance exercises. We also particularly like that the camper is truck width, and does not overhang the sides of the truck which is a big plus off-road.  

The only downsides are 1) this is a do it yourself camper. You have to want to build it out as you want it inside, but we saw that as a big plus having much of the set up from my previous off-road Tacoma that we outgrew, and not wanting to live inside the camper. And 2) because this mounts on the bed rails, the amount of dust you get in the camper is inversely proportional to how well you seal the truck bed. In our case we obsessively sealed the Tundra tailgate and underneath the Toyota bed rail system, which is full of intrusions. We also put in a Bedrug. And, there’s a positive pressure vent that we adapted from the marine environment and Jay installed for us. As a result we don’t get dust sucked into the bed, and it stays remarkably clean. 

I should also say, that we very thoroughly investigated FWC’s. Came very close to buying an F250 and a Fleet camper. We also came very close to buying a built flatbed rig FWC on a 2012 Power Wagon. We really liked the FWC‘s, but even with the flatbed couldnt get our heads around the weight, the lack of floor space as well as the relative lack of nimbleness in the vehicle we felt was required to handle the weight. Coming from a heavily modified Tacoma that pretty much went anywhere, we were trying to keep some of the same functionality off-road. The Ovrlnd camper was the thing fit the bill for us. Horses for courses! YMMV …

C1E00359-DD24-4350-800F-AFD2F5E4319E.jpeg

1B916894-3AC5-405A-9FE0-7FB123731448.jpeg

#14 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:14 AM

My next door neighbor here in Bend was in Colorado a few weeks back so did some investigating of the camper manufacturers based there. He recently came into a little "mad" money so plunked down a deposit on the SuperTramp. I should be able to see it in person in about a year. Looks pretty sweet but a bit out of my budget class. He met with the company owners and really liked their attention to detail that is pretty evident in the video clips on their website.$$$$

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:55 PM

Another interesting camper.

Starting at $47k.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 November 2021 - 05:23 PM

My next door neighbor here in Bend was in Colorado a few weeks back so did some investigating of the camper manufacturers based there. He recently came into a little "mad" money so plunked down a deposit on the SuperTramp. I should be able to see it in person in about a year. Looks pretty sweet but a bit out of my budget class. He met with the company owners and really liked their attention to detail that is pretty evident in the video clips on their website.$$$$

They look like interesting campers.  I wonder why the front lift mechanisms aren’t external, like those on the back wall.   It looks to me like they could go near the front jack mounts, opening up internal space and options.

I am haunted by waters

#17 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:19 PM

A couple more:

Hiatus Campers, hiatuscampers.com  built in Issaquah WA

Scout Campers, scoutcampers.com built in Avondale AZ

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:58 PM

Of all the 6 .... Supertramp would be a "step up". From with the grey water tank to electric lift... and no end boards... so more screen windows .... all in all a comfy pop up. 

That said I did not see weights?  I sent them an email... will report if/when they get back

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:25 PM

Of all the 6 .... Supertramp would be a "step up". From with the grey water tank to electric lift... and no end boards... so more screen windows .... all in all a comfy pop up. 

That said I did not see weights?  I sent them an email... will report if/when they get back

Rob, my guess is 2,500 pounds.  Plus or minus 250…

I am haunted by waters

#20 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:57 PM

Thanks Steve      A full 1 ton truck then... I do love my Eagle with all the mods I have done but that does look nice for the air. I think at around $47K (I got that price from Frank above) it is already out of my league especially as a new truck would also be needed.  But it sure is fun seeing the next incarnation.  

Edited by buckland, 25 November 2021 - 12:05 AM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users