44 replies to this topic

#11 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:48 PM

What kind of bedding do you recommend with this kind of condensation? Just purchased a used FWC and will be taking a month long ski trip in it in February.

The best thing is to purchase Marine HyperVent for under the mattress and bedding. You want 100% airflow under your bedding. There isn't any bedding that will not be affected by moisture, so the Marine HyperVent will help prevent condensation.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#12 Smars00l

Smars00l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:50 PM

Thanks! I already grabbed some of that. This forum is soooo helpful for first timers!

#13 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:53 PM

Thanks! I already grabbed some of that. This forum is soooo helpful for first timers!

[emoji106]

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#14 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:39 PM

What kind of bedding do you recommend with this kind of condensation? Just purchased a used FWC and will be taking a month long ski trip in it in February.

I use a felt sleeping bag liner inside a down/polyester bag. I wash the liner regularly, the sleeping bag once per year.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#15 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 December 2021 - 12:23 AM

The best thing is to purchase Marine HyperVent for under the mattress and bedding. You want 100% airflow under your bedding. There isn't any bedding that will not be affected by moisture, so the Marine HyperVent will help prevent condensation.

X2 Best move to make... then wipe down with absorbent wipes... gotta have air so keep top vent open a bit and if possible the turnbuckle flap door with screen... air up and out

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 December 2021 - 01:35 PM

Hypervent under the mattress 

I am haunted by waters

#17 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:12 PM

Condensation !  I try to peel open a few portions of the liner along the bottom velcro to allow air circulation behind it.

When on a trip one just has to peel off liner and wipe it to really remove moisture....maybe every other day.

Screens on the turnbuckle doors and an open roof vent seem to help a lot.

David Graves

#18 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:58 PM

We have done a lot of camping in environments that produce condensation on the inside of the pop-up material.  It will make the mattress damp if not cleaned off and will support mold if not dried before closing up for an extended period.

1) The thermal liner has not prevented the inside of the pop-up material from developing condensation, particularly in the over cab bed corners.

2) The inside of the thermal liner never develops condensation but it does hide the condensation on the inside of the pop up material which is behind the thermal liner so we always check for condensation before closing up.

3) Before dropping the camper top we always check for condensation behind the thermal liner. If there is condensation we always pull back the thermal liner and wipe as much moisture off of the liner surface as possible (even reaching behind the lift panel as best as possible).  Once done we put the liner back in place and close up.

4) We have used hand towels and dish towels.  The highly absorbent "shammy" towels work better.

5) We have Froli springs under the mattress and they increase comfort as well as facilitate air flow under the mattress which, as has been mentioned previously, is important.  I have used hypervent on a boat and it works too. 

Edited by ckent323, 01 December 2021 - 07:04 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#19 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:41 PM

I use a Serta 5-in-1 waterproof mattress pad in cold weather.  No condensation in or under the mattress and it doesn't feel damp or clammy.    I do leave the bed open all day to air out.

I used to put another quilted cotton mattress pad over it but found I didn't need it.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#20 Sedro F. Woolley

Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNW Washington State

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:59 PM

Trader Joe's sells little yellow microfiber cloths that really soak it up in our FWC Finch and are easy to wring out.  Don't remember what they cost but think they're super cheap. 

Trying to find the balance when it's cold out between enough ventilation to keep it from raining (or icicles forming) inside the camper and not either freezing our butts off in bed or getting blasted out by the furnace always seems to be a struggle.  Running the vent fan while cooking, especially when boiling water, definitely helps.  If it's not blowing, raining or snowing too hard out, so does opening up the windows some, putting on a warm hat and long undies, and laying an opened up down bag over our zipped-together, classic, flannel-lined Coleman bags.  

Thanks for the Hypervent recommendations.  I'll try to track some down. 

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users