6 replies to this topic

#1 ootnaboot

ootnaboot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSLO & Durango

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:08 PM

I've been pretty good at checking my turnbuckles on my 2014 Bobcat. Not every 300 miles good, but around every 500 miles good. And I've always made sure to follow Marty's "hand tight then 1/4 turn more" that he drove into my mind the day we received the camper, even to the point that I loosen them a couple times a year and retighten them to make sure they're not overtightened.

Today, I went to check them and (to my shock and surprise) the forward passenger buckle was laying in the truck bed. I was very confused. I knew they had been tightened a short while back. Then I noticed the 2" washer lying there. So, I reached up to check the eyelet on the underside of the camper: nothing. Nada. Not there. I felt around and there it was lying in the bed just outside of direct sight. <Gulp> My first thought (maybe my second thought after a "wtf!") was how long had it been like this? Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. It broke and I'm fortunate that the other buckles didn't loosen or fail themselves.

65801560965__914706FC-34E5-4E92-B92B-60D6F9165989.JPG

So, the now what? question. Get an equivalent bolt and eyelet and reinstall? Or do something different? Would love to hear folk's thoughts.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 November 2021 - 11:19 PM

I broke one on our camper (forward driver's) and reinstalled a replacement from Marty. No problem since then. At the time Marty stressed not going with a grade 8 bolt. "Do you want the bolt to break or it to rip out from the plywood?"

The other issue is access to the bolt to remove and replace. The eyelet should be fine if you can remove the piece of broken threaded bolt.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 November 2021 - 12:53 AM

Did the eye bolt break off from the truck bed or the camper wood frame?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 ootnaboot

ootnaboot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSLO & Durango

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:38 AM

Did the eye bolt break off from the truck bed or the camper wood frame?

Frank

It broke from the camper wood frame

#5 ootnaboot

ootnaboot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSLO & Durango

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:38 AM

I broke one on our camper (forward driver's) and reinstalled a replacement from Marty. No problem since then. At the time Marty stressed not going with a grade 8 bolt. "Do you want the bolt to break or it to rip out from the plywood?"

The other issue is access to the bolt to remove and replace. The eyelet should be fine if you can remove the piece of broken threaded bolt.

Yeah, that's my concern. Will give Marty a call tomorrow first thing.

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 November 2021 - 04:44 AM

If you want to upgrade the camper side of the mounting system, FWC sells the parts to upgrade your camper to the new style with hefty 1/4" backing plates and rock climbing like bolt anchors.

#7 ootnaboot

ootnaboot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSLO & Durango

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:28 AM

If you want to upgrade the camper side of the mounting system, FWC sells the parts to upgrade your camper to the new style with hefty 1/4" backing plates and rock climbing like bolt anchors.

Oh sweet! Thanks for the info, Vic. I'll check that out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users