6 replies to this topic

#1 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 November 2021 - 03:06 PM

I don't have or need one with my current vintage of rigs, but I was pondering a question that came up about integrating solar with one.

Do DC-DC chargers float their ground or are they common to chassis ground?

What lead to this question was pondering how to get the solar to also charge the starting batteries. So far in my thinking I'm at needing at least three and maybe four high current / low voltage drop wires along with one or two DC-DC chargers. If only one then an older single-sense type ACR/VSR would be needed for the solar to truck battery isolation/connection.

If they are common then that's down to three such wires or cables. Which is still a heavy price to pay for that functionality. There has to be a better way that I've not figured out.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 November 2021 - 04:46 PM

I am not sure I understand the question completely - but an isolated DC-DC converter has two separate negative terminals (not really ground) that are electrically isolated from each other (at least in a DC sense), but they can be connected by the user.  The non-isolated version has a single electrical negative terminal (but usually two connection points).  It is up to the user to decide whether these are connected to the vehicle ground, but in almost all automotive applications they are.   

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 November 2021 - 05:02 PM

The DC-DC charger's input negative would always be common to chassis ground. I guess what I'm asking is if the output negative is always connected to the input negative regardless of the DC-DC charger's status. If it is then the output negative is always common to chassis ground. If it is not then it is likely floating and not common to the chassis.

Common simplifys things considerably. Floating does not simplify anything.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 November 2021 - 05:12 PM

At least on Victron DC-DC converters, the input and output negative terminals are common on the non-isolated version, and are isolated on the isolated version, but you can tie them together if that is what you prefer. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:36 PM

The Victron Orion Tr Smart 12/12-30 non-isolated has only three dc connection terminals - two positives and one negative.

In the isolated version (which I have) there are four terminals and the negatives are isolated regardless of the charger mode unless you tie them together in your wiring.

Edited by Jon R, 09 November 2021 - 06:39 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:16 PM

Thank you both!

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:16 PM

I think one of the reasons an isolated charger can be desirable in certain situations is corrosion prevention by avoiding a ground loop.

I bought an isolated charger prior to actually taking delivery of my Four wheel camper because discussions here led me to believe that the attachment of my camper to the truck would tie the truck structure and camper frame together electrically, and I didn’t want ground loop issues. It turned out the attachment does not electrically connect the camper to the truck. My camper also was delivered with a ground wiring error that tied the marker lights ground inside a wall to another ground. The easiest thing to do to get the lights working properly was to tie the ground systems together.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users