• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 11:30 PM

Howdy from Jackson Hole!

I've been leveling my camper with a shovel (in desert sand) & rocks if I can find'em (God invented rocks to level FWCs). Been hankering for something more accessible & convenient. A solution I can throw into a storage box on the roof.

The crescent shaped Beech Lane leveler seems best suited for pavement, but not the front & rear wheel setups we need. 

Interlocking blocks are a good idea for rv parks, but I can't imagine the hassle in preparing flat surfaces

Also, the above 2 plastic "fixes" have grids with a lot of open air underneath them...

Ahhhh, we're down to affordable wooden boards. 3 varying lengths for stacking, chop cut to 45 degrees for driving up. 6 planks total for front & rear. Can I get by with 2X4's instead of 2X6's? What are the minimum lengths I can get by with?

Thankx for saving me a crap load of time!

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 November 2021 - 11:43 PM

FWIW: I used to use 2x6s in a range of lengths (in order to build a pyramid).
But I switched to Lynx Levelers (2 sets of 10) many years ago -- which are MUCH lighter than wood, and I've never looked back.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 663 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 09 November 2021 - 11:43 PM

rocks.. always rocks.. don't need another thing to carry around..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 November 2021 - 12:02 AM

I've used rocks, too, and it was kinda fun. Rustic charm. But not always reliable.

Truck-on-rocks1.jpg
Rock-Leveling3.jpg
Rock-Leveling2.jpg

Here's a link to a post I made that includes drawings of lumber levelers.
LINK

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 November 2021 - 01:02 AM

Ahhhh, we're down to affordable wooden boards. 3 varying lengths for stacking, chop cut to 45 degrees for driving up. 6 planks total for front & rear. Can I get by with 2X4's instead of 2X6's? What are the minimum lengths I can get by with?

Thankx for saving me a crap load of time!

I use 2x6s 8" long.I have a space along the rear outside of the camper that they slide into.

Easy to store and retrieve to use. Also have shorter pieces stored inside the camper but usually don't need them

They work well just drive up on them.

Rocks also work but sometimes can be hard to find and drive up on.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 10 November 2021 - 01:49 AM

I do a lot of winter camping in ski area parking lots and whatever I use often gets frozen to the ground so several 2x6s per ski trip with some getting left behind.

Even with a 4x4 truck, driving up onto leveling blocks can be difficult on a frozen parking lot, so sometimes I use a 6 ton hydraulic jack to lift the axle and then slide a 2x6 (or several) in place.

Edited by DanoT, 10 November 2021 - 01:50 AM.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#7 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 10 November 2021 - 02:18 AM

20210307_140239.jpg Rocks have never failed me for leveling truck and camper, and when your finished, leave there, one less thing to pack.

Edited by fish more, 10 November 2021 - 02:44 AM.

#8 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 03:25 AM

I have found that a shovel works best in most situations unless I am on pavement, for which I carry a few pieces of 2 x 6.  I have broken plastic levelers, especially if the surface isn't flat.  I have a crescent leveler that I use for my trailer, but, if you think about it, it is like parking on a hill or a wedge.  You need to chock it or chock your wheels because your wheel wants to roll off of it.  I also use rock if they are convient.  

I have found that, no matter what leveler I use, putting my truck into 4 Low makes it much easier and more controlled when driving up onto my leveling device (or into a hole I've dug).

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 November 2021 - 04:08 AM

I have found that, no matter what leveler I use, putting my truck into 4 Low makes it much easier and more controlled when driving up onto my leveling device (or into a hole I've dug).

4 low and the truck just walks up.  Love it.

I use short pieces of LVL / OSB lumber for ramping up.  I think my scraps are 1 1/4" thick.  They are tough enough to be a jack base in the mud.    I chose them because they won't crack.  They do weigh a few pounds.

We prefer to park backing into the hill, so the rear end is closer to the ground.  Digging a hole on the high side tire(s) can also help keep the camper lower to the ground.  It's not for us, it's for the dog  :D

Edited by Lighthawk, 10 November 2021 - 04:55 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 10 November 2021 - 03:15 PM

MaxTrax and the airbags. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users