• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 10 November 2021 - 04:34 PM

I use two 4x6s & two 2x6s about 15" long. I stow them behind the drivers seat of my Tundra.

Attached Thumbnails

• leveler - 1 (1).jpg

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#12 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 05:00 PM

I carry Beach Lanes and Camco Legos and use them everywhere. I only use the Beach Lanes if I can get away with it because they're so easy to use, even if I need asymmetric lifting. Had I known about them prior to owning the Camco blocks, I wouldn't have bought the Camcos. I'd just use rocks when the Beach Lanes weren't sufficient. 

#13 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 10 November 2021 - 05:31 PM

After cracking several 2x8 boards over the years on uneven ground I bought a 3/4" thick stalll mat from Tractor Supply and cut two 8" wide by 36" strips out of it.  I now put them down first and then stack 24" and 18" long 2x8s, each having 45 degree cut on one end, as needed.  No cracking problem since.  The stall mat was chwaper than buying an 8" wide composites board.  A bonus is that the stall mat pads have knobs on one side that make them usable as poor mans sand mats.

There is a space between the side wall of the cargo bed and the exterior of the floor pack of the camper, between the wheel well hump and the corner of the bed where the tail gate latches, where I stash these stacked on an angle that wedges them in while underway.  Easy in and easy out.  The additional weight is minimal compared to everything else we carry and the convenience value is high.

Edited by ckent323, 10 November 2021 - 10:44 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#14 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 05:43 PM

I carry 4 2x10x15" boards and 4 4x4x8" blocks. If the 2x10 thickness isn't enough, i build a ramp using the 4x4 block in conjunction with the 2x10. The 2x10s are yellow pine but I made the 4x4s out of cedar which greatly reduces their weight. Thinking of switching the 2x10s to cedar as well or plane them down to reduce weight. 

#15 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 10 November 2021 - 06:02 PM

I use pieces of 1" thick plastic "boards", 5 1/2" wide. Previously, I used pieces of 5/4x6 pressure treated decking, but they split and could get quite heavy when waterlogged. Plastic decking boards are pretty heavy but these are cut from boards intended for trim and are much lighter. They don't absorb water and are a bit lighter than pressure treated wood.

I carry a set of several pieces each of three lemgths: 12", 18" and 24". The truck tires can easily climb up a 2" or even 3" step, so I didn't bevel the ends. I put the truck in 4-wheel-low, so I can drive slowly up onto the stacked boards and avoid the tendency to overshoot.

The boards are stored on edge in a custom wooden crate on the floor behind the passenger seat.

I have a LevelMate Pro installed in the camper, which communicates with my phone (through Bluetooth) and shows me how much each wheel needs to be raised. I just try to get within and inch or two of level.

All in all, it's a very workable system.

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#16 desertmtn

desertmtn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 08:08 PM

I use two 4x6s & two 2x6s about 15" long. I stow them behind the drivers seat of my Tundra.

Ronin, what brand of steps are those??

#17 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 10 November 2021 - 08:28 PM

What ever mother nature has left, rocks,limbs,dirt.

I'm always overloaded so do not need more weight!

Les,lqikers

#18 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 10 November 2021 - 10:25 PM

Ronin, what brand of steps are those??

It's a Little Giant. I removed the hand rail. I've tried other steps but found this one to be extremely stable.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#19 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 10 November 2021 - 10:39 PM

+1 on the Little Giant folding step.

We use a Little Giant 3 step, 3 foot model.  While a little heavier than I prefer it is very stable and works great.  I just fold it up with a small tarp wrapped around it to protect the cabinet faces and slide it into the entry aisle of the camper.  Wendie has no problem getting it in or out by herself.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#20 Swaff1

Swaff1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationoHIo

Posted 10 November 2021 - 11:51 PM

Little lynx levelers work perfect and surprisingly well with just one little bag... I can level in a variety of situations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users