10 replies to this topic

#1 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:48 PM

To all who served, a Nation thanks you.

Best nation on earth.  Best nation to raise your kids.  Best nation live your life and retire in.   Best nation to Wander the West in.

Thank you.

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:52 PM

Thank you veterans for your service!!!!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 November 2021 - 07:08 PM

Thank you, all vets.

Especially    James E. Plowman,the Navy pilot 

whose MIA bracelet I have warn for 51 years,

and all the other members of the armed forces

who gave their all for us.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2021 - 10:11 PM

Thanks to all who served!

Attached Thumbnails

• happy veterans day.jpg

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#5 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 November 2021 - 01:50 AM

My BIL died earlier this year -- he was a Marine Corps jet jockey, flew in Vietnam, Bronze Star recipient. Down to earth very decent person. I am honored to have got to know him well over the years. He was generous, quiet, pragmatic and knew how to hold his own with a drink or two. Buried in Arlington with full honors on October 1st.  I miss him. 

Edited by AWG_Pics, 12 November 2021 - 02:02 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#6 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 12 November 2021 - 03:03 AM

i was a personnel records specialst, in army, in italy, in the 70's

havent quite figured out what to say when people 'thank me for my service', when i get my vet discount here and there...

my only goal during that 3 yrs, was to get thru it, have fun, see europe, and then use the gi bill for college when i got home.  all accomplished.

Oregon

#7 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 02:04 PM

THANK YOU

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 November 2021 - 01:03 AM

Yes, honor and thanks to our Veterans.

Another of my research projects is family history. I highly recommend digging around in your family roots. Fascinating stories are found there. In my direct family name linage are found many veterans and it adds a poignant personal element to historic events. A noted genealogist suggests that my 6x great grandfather's nephew (son of his brother) was the first American officer wounded in battle - Battle of Montreal in 1775. This 6x great grandfather of mine was a noted frontiersman and translator and trader with the Indians, but I've found no reference with him in the French and Indian War. His son and grandson were Pennsylvania Quakers and did not fight in the Revolutionary War. Many other of my ancestors did. My 3x great grandfather fought in the War of 1812. Both of my Dad's grandfathers fought in the Civil War. My father was discharged from the Army for medical reasons before going overseas and worked security at a munitions plant in World War II. Most of his brothers (five) saw combat in World War II. My Uncle Joe was in the 10th Mountain Division. Two of my brothers served in Vietnam.  

So many other of my non direct family name ancestors served. Research this past year found that my 5x great grandfather, Shadrack Pierce was a member of the Rangers at Lexington and Concord - "The Shot Heard Round the World." My cousin's - The Big Guy - uncle survived the sinking of the Indianapolis. Julie's father was a Marine on Tinian when the atomic bomb was offloaded from the Indianapolis. "Something secret's going on over there," was the word. Julie's father, as a Marine, drove amphibious vehicles (Alligators) in five major invasions in the South Pacific - from the Marianas to Okinawa. He had Navajo codetalkers with him. It was a miracle he survived. He represented his Marine Battalion at the 60th anniversary of the invasion of Saipan.   

So many veterans. We must honor them. But, we also must honor them by asking why. Why so much need to serve?

I expect that, as you delve into your family's history you will find the same results. I encourage you to do so. You will find many veterans and direct links to history. Keep at it and the neat discoveries keep coming. All this history that surrounds us all becomes very personal.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 November 2021 - 08:39 PM

Very interesting family history.

Thanks.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:35 AM

My father was just a hundred years old when he died this last Friday, the day after Veteran's day. He served in WWII and Korea. Prior to D-day he commanded a small unit that generated fake radio traffic to spoof the Germans about where the invasion was to take place. He did land in Europe a few days after D-day. Later he narrowly survived the initial onslaught of the Battle of the Bulge, eventually crossed the Rhine on the Remagen Bridge. He saw some terrible things. Went into the reserves after the war, was activated to Korea, was attached as a signals liaison to the Marines and ended up doing the retreat from the Chosin reservoir. He came home after that.

My brother served in Vietnam as a door gunner on helicopters, later doing mechanic work on those helos. Two of my brother's and I's friends served as well, one on aircraft carriers the other as a ground pounding Marine grunt. All three came back from that war wrecked as human beings. They made it until the mid-70's, when they all three died.

I honor and grieve for our vets -- they give so much, more than we can measure.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 15 November 2021 - 12:42 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users