18 replies to this topic

#11 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2022 - 07:28 PM

How do you know about that "explosive" thing?

In my trailer last spring: A leak from a fitting on a burner caused build-up of propane in the cabinet below. The burner flame connected to the blob of propane in the cabinet, blowing the cabinet door off its hinges, burning my arm, singeing my beard and eyebrows and leg hair. 
The Suburban had been the standard stove in my brand of trailer...but a number of folks had similar experiences to mine. The Dometic is now the standard stove.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 February 2022 - 07:49 PM

In my trailer last spring: A leak from a fitting on a burner caused build-up of propane in the cabinet below. The burner flame connected to the blob of propane in the cabinet, blowing the cabinet door off its hinges, burning my arm, singeing my beard and eyebrows and leg hair. 
The Suburban had been the standard stove in my brand of trailer...but a number of folks had similar experiences to mine. The Dometic is now the standard stove.

Wow, we're sure glad you survived without any other damage!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2022 - 08:00 PM

Wow, we're sure glad you survived without any other damage!

Thanks, Monte. I gotta say I was kinda shocked when it happened. Not shocked just from the 'trauma' itself... but because something that I would usually discount as a low-probability event that only silly people worry about actually happened -- TO ME! This meant that maybe I DON'T live a charmed life!
:unsure: :rolleyes:

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 February 2022 - 08:15 PM

EEEEEK!  That’s not good, apologies for my eyebrows wisecrack!  I don’t blame you for switching to a Dometic!

I am haunted by waters

#15 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2022 - 08:20 PM

EEEEEK! That’s not good, apologies for my eyebrows wisecrack! I don’t blame you for switching to a Dometic!

That's ok, Steve. I thought maybe I had told you the story already, so you knew about my singed eyebrows.

Folks on the trailer forum pointed out what seems to be a design flaw in the connection between the burner valve and the burner, a flaw which makes leaking more likely. It only leaks when the valve is on, since it's downstream of the valve, but that's also the time when there is active flame nearby.

#16 desertmtn

desertmtn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 06:06 AM

I recently purchased and installed the Dometic 50216 cooktop. I read elsewhere that there has been problems with high elevation ignition. Or inability to use it at any elevation higher than 4500’.
Mine works great at 4600’. But when I took it up to 7000’ or so it would not ignite. It seemed to have a propane issue. My furnace was lit and operating just fine but no flow to the stove.
I am hoping there is a solution. I’d love insight and help if any is available.
I tried solving the flow issue by disconnecting the propane source and after reconnecting, opening the propane valve very slowly.
I disconnected the propane bottle and hose after turning off the main valve. Allowed it the remain disconnected for 20 seconds, reattached and opened the valve painfully slow. The furnace fired up again, but no propane at the cooktop.
So- short of measuring the WC or water column - does anyone have any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• C55A5E58-4B88-4B90-8E19-C03D35C8B936.jpeg

Edited by desertmtn, 10 March 2022 - 06:14 AM.

#17 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 03:24 PM

Hmm, I have the 50210 model, but won't have it installed for another month or so. will be easy to test since I live at 6200' and can get to 9000' with a short drive.  MarkBC: that is scary. and why I will have the propane alarm in the same space as the stove. Yikes.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#18 2Z Bundok

2Z Bundok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 March 2022 - 12:23 PM

that is scary. and why I will have the propane alarm in the same space as the stove

Good Idea!...LP detector has to be somewhere!

2Z Bundok

Truck Camper...The box from which we think outside.

#19 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2022 - 03:06 PM

Hmm, I have the 50210 model, but won't have it installed for another month or so. will be easy to test since I live at 6200' and can get to 9000' with a short drive.  MarkBC: that is scary. and why I will have the propane alarm in the same space as the stove. Yikes.

Did anybody else install the 50210 model? I'm looking at purchasing but the higher elevation issue has me hesitating.
2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users