#1 astropuppy

astropuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 November 2021 - 12:02 AM

Bought a $18 adapter for my 56v lawnmower batteries. Plan on plugging it into the aux solar port on our FWC. 280 whrs per battery and I have 2 batteries. Not affiliated, this guy makes clever stuff.

https://minne.us/grabpower/

Attached Files

#2 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 03:30 AM

I'm curious about this adapter.  It looks like to me you'll have 56 volts coming out of the end of it.  My solar controller can't handle that.  I was looking to making something like this with an adjustable buck converter so I could control the output to match my controller or 12 volts for miscellaneous stuff. I have the parts, just haven't gotten around to making it.    Let me know how the adapter you bought works for you.

#3 astropuppy

astropuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:44 PM

The stock "Overland Solar" controller can handle 100 volts, I'm just going to plug it in the aux solar port directly, the MPPT controller will take care of the rest.

That's an interesting link. Thank you.

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:32 PM

This is an interesting idea.    Be a little cautious, at least the first time you try this, as it will max out the MPPT controller and it may get a bit warm.   I have a similar approach to use my Victron MPPT as a battery to battery charger (using a boost converter from the alternator) and ended up reducing the max current on the MPPT from 20A to 15A so that it ran a little cooler. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 astropuppy

astropuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 December 2021 - 12:35 AM

This is an interesting idea.    Be a little cautious, at least the first time you try this, as it will max out the MPPT controller and it may get a bit warm.   I have a similar approach to use my Victron MPPT as a battery to battery charger (using a boost converter from the alternator) and ended up reducing the max current on the MPPT from 20A to 15A so that it ran a little cooler. 

Good point. I completely spaced off trying it before putting the camper in storage after our last trip. Your boost converter idea lead me to the idea of using batteries I already own. Are you still using the boost converter; I really like the idea?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users