• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Baxter

Baxter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 04:59 AM

We just found the treasure of a lifetime and need help! She’s a 1968 8’ non-cab over in beautiful shape. Original 3 burner stove-top that’s never been used! Cabinetry, hardware and surfaces all intact. Icebox isn’t salvageable, but otherwise she looks amazing!

Specifically, we’re trying to figure out how to start.
We need to know how to get access to rebuild the sides- both sides have some rot around the windows. We were hoping to get it done from the outside, because the interior is in such good condition. But as we’ve just started, we’re seeing it appear to be only accessible from the inside?
Is there a way to access and replace wood framing from the outside?
Are the cabinets removable for wall access inside? (They’re looking pretty built-in)
Any links to detailed rebuild threads?
Any advice?
Thanks for any help, info, guidance & stories!

#2 Dr.Science

Dr.Science

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:28 PM

I'm actually in the middle of this process on an 1990 cabover, but it's pretty clear how these things are put together. There's a long thread about this on Youtube too, here: https :// www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dG_zboTNc

I'm ripping the inside out because my interior paneling was shot. The framing is actually looking pretty good. However, the camper appears to be built from the inside out, so your most logical track is to remove the aluminum skin, and then address rot in the framing members. Removing the skin involves removing some aluminum gutters and seals, and LOTS of staples, and then it comes right off. When reassembling use plenty of Sikaflex 221 (which has replaced the butyl tape that was used when your camper was built). You might also think about some vents to allow evaporation of condensation that forms on the inside of the aluminum - I've noticed some Alaskans have these vents, most don't. Also you'll need Pirelli webbing to redo the seals around the bottom of the top shell and top of the bottom shell. Watch the whole Youtube series, most of this will start to make sense. You might also need to replace the end walls, if yes, use marine plywood, it lasts a long time.

The cabinets are generally removable. It may not be simple. On mine, the overhead storage was easy to remove but the stuff in the bottom shell is pretty securely attached, I won't take it out unless I'm planning to rebuild it.

There's a pretty active Facebook group called Alaskan Camper Club. Check it out.

Edited by Dr.Science, 28 November 2021 - 06:29 PM.

#3 Baxter

Baxter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:40 PM

Thank you and yes I did watch that whole series but where I’m stuck is trying to get the skin off from under the windows, it seems to be nailed or stapled from the inside where I can’t get to them .

If I take the stops out of the tracks will it lift heigh enough to gain access with out falling off ? I’ll post pictures soon as I figure out how lol

#4 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 02 December 2021 - 11:30 AM

I removed the stops and pistons and rested the top half on the bottom half with 2x4's at the corners. Removing the skins would be the best way to repair the rotten framing.

alaskan-top_windows-out.jpg

alaskan-front-sanded.jpg

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:40 PM

Thank you and yes I did watch that whole series but where I’m stuck is trying to get the skin off from under the windows, it seems to be nailed or stapled from the inside where I can’t get to them .

If I take the stops out of the tracks will it lift heigh enough to gain access with out falling off ? I’ll post pictures soon as I figure out how lol

There are several pinned threads on posting photos in the Member Support sub forum.  Send me a message if you need assistance.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Baxter

Baxter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:25 AM

Oh that’s good to know , thank you for the picture . I’m now in the process of removing all the skin from the top , so far I’ve found the side under the driver side window is basically turned to dust .
The passenger side looks much better but still has rot . And so the adventures begin!

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:31 AM

Baxter, you might document your repair as a guide for other Alaskan owners.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Baxter

Baxter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 05:25 AM

I’ve taken pictures as I go but it won’t let me post pics so I downloaded the app and still has an error when trying to upload a picture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users