• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tmcd

tmcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:38 AM

Just returned to the upper Midwest after picking up our new Bobcat six weeks ago and camping our way down the California coast and through the SW.  Love it!  Now that we returned home in time for winter I have some questions about storage.  I intend to store the camper off the truck in my unheated pole barn where it will be protected from wind and snow but not the cold.  Is there any reason to consider storing it extended (popped up)?  I should not have to do anything with it when the temps are in the single digits but I don't want to unintentionally damage the vinyl sides.

Also, since the solar panel will not be exposed to the sun, it will not be keeping the battery charged. I had the 110 Volt System with converter installed as an option so is the simplest solution to plug in to shore power and let that keep the battery charged?  I haven't even tried the 110 system yet but I'm assuming its just a matter of plugging a heavy duty cord to the external socket.  I have lots to learn re: the Bobcat's electrical system.  Any advice?

Thanks,

tmcd

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:57 AM

Hi tmcd, welcome to Wander the West!

Yes, that’s pretty much it for the electrical.  I’m not sure what converter ATC is using now, but ensure it has a float mode for extended connection.  If you have a water system, drain and blow out the lines.  Get any food, including cans out.  I like to leave a window open a crack, same for a vent to get some airflow.  Support underneath, maybe a couple sawhorses, is good.

I would pop the top up for covered storage.  Maybe a coat of 303 protectant to start the winter off.

Yes, ATC is great.  I’m on the list waiting for my second All Terrain Camper.

steve

I am haunted by waters

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:03 AM

I'd pop it and leave it up.  303 Protectant on the vinyl.  On board charging is simplest for sure.  If you pull the power cut off switch, you should only have to check the battery charge monthly and plug in if needed.

#4 tmcd

tmcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 03:56 PM

Thanks you!  No water system or food to worry about.  Need to track down some 303.  

tmcd

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:50 PM

Some folks leave a small heater or even an incandescent light on in the camper to provide some heat to keep it dry.  Is it damp where you are? 

#6 tmcd

tmcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:51 PM

It can be....the light bulb is a good idea. Thanks

tmcd

#7 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:59 PM

It can be....the light bulb is a good idea. Thanks

tmcd

Stor-Dry draws about the same power as a light bulb but uses a low power heater and fan.

https://www.caframob.../9406caabx.html

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bobcat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users