27 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 December 2021 - 04:20 PM

Recently had the rear pinion seal replaced. Its leaking again. Had to drop the tank to replace the fuel sender (of course you have buy the fuel pump as its one assembly). Replaced the water pump, tensioner and idler along with the alternator (since I had a new one sitting on the shelf) and epoxied the radiator. 

Now its in the shop waiting for ball joints. I probably could do them but its not an easy job. So they get the wrong ones. Then yesterday they tell me a rebuild kit arrived instead of the ball joints. Grrrrr. Guess I'll have to uber out there because I'm driving my Jeep in a driving rain, assuming its ready Monday.

Now six feet of predicted snow will likely keep me home. At least I can read about others exploits :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:02 PM

Bummer. Are you in the market for a new truck? I usually drive a rig until it reaches some hard to define tipping point of repair costs and time in the shop versus usability time. Then I start looking for something new.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 11 December 2021 - 08:33 PM

Sorry to hear that Craig. If you decide to replace it try to wait till next year as the used car/truck prices are out of sight.

I saw a used 2021 Subaru with 6k miles for $5k more than a new one. I have been waiting over 4 months now for the new one I ordered the end of August. Luckily our  15 year old Honda with  141, 800 miles on it is still purring long.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 December 2021 - 09:51 PM

I did a pile of R&D before deciding to get a newer truck (new is out of the question for me.  Too much $$ and depreciation is nasty!).  I was anticipating having to spend $25K or more on my old 2006 with 400K km on it to refresh it.   Even so, I was not convinced until a nice 2015 came up that was perfect.  

Just sold the old truck today, and drove it to the fuel station to fill it up and realized that there were a LOT of things I liked about the old truck... things like visibility over the hood (newer hoods are waaaay higher), fewer gizmos, and a much "lighter" feel compared to the newer one.  In hindsight, I think I would have been happier keeping the older one.

The stuff you describe as being needed for you truck sound like "maintenance" not problems.  Problems in my book are electrical gremlins (had one vehicle that had been flood damaged, what a headache!), or design issues (had a 1998 Toyota Avalon that had factory issues with the BCM that could not be fixed in any way... ).

My $.02...

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 December 2021 - 10:42 PM

Sell? Its still a pup compared to my Jeep. Hopefully when I get it back I'll be good for another ten years. The rear pinion seal bothers me though. Bad seal? Improper installation? Bad mating surface? Or the really scary part, maybe the pinion bearing is going. I'm sure they're anxious to free some shop space. Maybe even a discount? Yeah, dreaming there :)

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 December 2021 - 11:46 PM

Craig, in regards to the pinion seal. When Julie & I rebuilt the front end on our truck I had issues with the new front axle seals (Napa) leaking. I switched out to OEM Ford seals and the problem was solved.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 12 December 2021 - 02:49 AM

Like Ski said, should use factory seals, hopefully not a pinion bearing. Oil leaks suck

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 December 2021 - 06:37 AM

I'll mention that to the techs.

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 12 December 2021 - 04:05 PM

All of those repairs, or maintenance, will probably cost you less than a year's worth of payments on a new truck. So you are saving the other four years of payments on a typical 60 month loan!

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 12 December 2021 - 05:21 PM

Agreed, having your aging truck down for multiple repairs or worrying about future reliability brings on thoughts of moving on. But others have said it best…you can buy a alot of repair instead of paying $70k for a new truck.

The final straw for me on my ‘96 Dodge was the vacuum system. It controlled all kinds of functions including HVAC and the CAD. Laying on my back in Frenchglen, manually disconnecting the front axle from 4WD, pretty much made up my mind. Nevertheless, I wish I had never sold that thing. 😩

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users