• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff1759

Jeff1759

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 12:30 AM

2021 Ram 3500 SRW with a Bundutec Wild, comfortable in my payload capacity with 1,500 lbs to spare, drives very well on pavement and decent gravel roads, but feels a bit top heavy with roll when I think about taking some steep and very pot holed gravel hills where I recreate. 

OEM wheels are 20x8" with 285/60R20E tires.
I think I have a better grasp on wheel/tire sizes, but looking for some clarification or some guidance.

My understanding is that smaller rim sizes allow for more sidewall, which translates to a better off road ride, especially if aired down when going off road. (installing onboard air soon)
Does this sound right?

If I were to go with a 17" AEV Salta https://www.aev-conv...salta-hd-wheel/

and wanted to run with a 35" tire, would this be a good first major investment in improving my off road capability? Not looking to rock crawl, but to be confident on forest service roads, ruts, potholes, creek crossings, etc..

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 December 2021 - 02:41 AM

I hope JHanson jumps in here.  I believe he has LOTS of relevant knowledge about this.  For my $0.02, I think the smaller rim is the way to go for sure, depending on the availability of tires.  For example, my truck uses 265/70r18 tires, but 275/70r18 is a more common size, that is what I will put on once mine need replacing.  

Have you considered that you might need a fatter anti-roll bar?  Since you won't be rock crawling the limits they put on articulation are well worth the handling benefits.  

#3 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 21 December 2021 - 05:29 AM

..but feels a bit top heavy with roll when I think about taking some steep and very pot holed gravel hills where I recreate. 

OEM wheels are 20x8" with 285/60R20E tires.

My initial thoughts are that if it feels like top heavy and rolls then high profile tires (ie. smaller rims ) are going in the wrong direction.  Your roll feeling might be suspension related and not tire/wheel combo.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 21 December 2021 - 04:29 PM

Be sure to check whether a smaller rim will fit; newer trucks have much larger brake calipers and discs. My initial reaction is that a 17” rim would not fit if the stock size is 20”. Maybe, just maybe, an 18” will work. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 05:53 PM

Go with a 17 or 18" rim there should be plenty of tire selection for either size. to accomplish what you want, you'll need load range E with a heavy/stiff sidewall. Tire pressure will also have a big effect on how much "roll" you feel when driving. Side note:  17 or 18" tires are generally less expensive than 20"

#6 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 21 December 2021 - 11:24 PM

My 2 cents,

go down to 18 inch wheels, i feel this is a good overall fit with 35 inch tires. Looking for a sweet spot with sidewall.

Of course this can increase body roll/sway. 

I went the hellwig swaybar route, and added stabilloads also. My leaf pack was made for my truck, so has progressive leaves.

This does limit articulation, but i have not found this to be an issue, while i do take mine on some pretty fun trails. I am not seriously rock-crawling. Ram powerwagons have had sway-bar disconnects in the past. Maybe this is an option also.

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#7 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 22 December 2021 - 12:00 AM

Jumping in . . . With 20" wheels and the correspondingly shorter sidewalls of the tires I'm pretty sure the roll issues you mention are suspension related, as someone mentioned, rather than anything to do with sidewall squirm. It's difficult to say without driving your truck; the Bundutec is still a chunk of weight even on a one-ton truck if you have stock suspension. The roll you're feeling might be perfectly normal.

I also suspect, as someone else mentioned, that 17" wheels might very well not fit with the brake calipers on your truck, but that's easy to check through the dealer or factory.

You're correct that taller sidewalls contribute to a more pleasant ride, especially when aired down—and airing down also increases traction and flotation and reduces stress on the truck and on the trail. Then again, if you're planning to install 35" tires you'll have a decent amount of sidewall even with 20" wheels. I would consider saving money and trying that approach first. Alternately, since you don't plan on rock crawling I would consider compromising on the 18" option.

Just keep in mind that going from a 33" tire (the 285/60R20) to a heavier 35 will affect your braking, acceleration, and fuel economy negatively. Again, if you're not planning on rock crawling, but generally stick to forest service roads, I don't think you need the extra inch of ground clearance you'll gain.

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 22 December 2021 - 02:09 AM

17's seem to have the widest selection range, but fitting over the calipers could be the sticking point. I flat do not understand this fad of large OD wheels & low profile truck tires. Everything about it is wrong for the application. The rubber floor mat, hand crank windows version of your truck likely has the smallest rim size that will fit. Looking that up will tell you what will work and what likely won't. And if that doesn't get you there, then look up the OD of the front brake rotors. The rule of thumb is that the smallest wheel that will fit will be 3" larger than the rotor's OD, So for a 12" rotor the minimum size will be a 15" wheel, and for a 14" rotor OD the smallest wheel that will fit will be a 17"

Body roll doesn't bother me, but then I learned to drive in a Saab 96......

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 22 December 2021 - 03:47 AM

"Body roll doesn't bother me, but then I learned to drive in a Saab 96......"

Now that is funny!

Agreed on the trend toward silly low-profile truck tires.

#10 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 22 December 2021 - 04:51 AM

Low profile tires are for pavement pounders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users