• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 28 December 2021 - 12:28 AM

My 2017 Silverado did not come with a back up cam. Now that I will be installing the Hawk, I will need one for sure.

I have looked at a couple options.

I. Infotainment has an option that replaces the "brains" of my factory radio/screen unit for like $600. This comes with the tailgate cam. I will be removing the tailgate so I don't want to pay for that cam/unit combo.

My existing unit has the RPO of IOB. With this being the case, I don't think I need to replace the "brains" but just reprogram them.

2. OBD Genie offers a programmer for $129.00

Anyone have any experience with using the OBD Genie programmer on their IOB radio unit?

What cam and location works best with the Hawk model fwc? 

#2 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 12:48 AM

I use a a camera from Camera Source on my 2017 Ram. Plug and play. Works great. The guide lines don’t turn as they do on the tailgate cam but not a deal breaker for me. I mount it on the license plate holder.

Edited by Outnabout, 28 December 2021 - 12:49 AM.

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 28 December 2021 - 01:12 AM

I use a a camera from Camera Source on my 2017 Ram. Plug and play. Works great. The guide lines don’t turn as they do on the tailgate cam but not a deal breaker for me. I mount it on the license plate holder.

Did your Ram come with a factory tailgate camera, or did you start from scratch with everything?

#4 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:40 AM

Did your Ram come with a factory tailgate camera, or did you start from scratch with everything?

Ram came with a tailgate camera. It just unplugs below the tailgate and the Camera Source camera
Plugs in.

#5 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 28 December 2021 - 04:15 AM

My 2016 F150 had a plug and play kit I found online.. I got the license plate version, but found it was too low and easy to kick while getting into the camper,  and we carry bikes sometimes and it was useless.. I ran the wire along the door frame and mounted up high above the door and its much better..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#6 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 05:03 AM

My 2016 F150 had a plug and play kit I found online.. I got the license plate version, but found it was too low and easy to kick while getting into the camper, and we carry bikes sometimes and it was useless.. I ran the wire along the door frame and mounted up high above the door and its much better..

Yes. I thought I would kick the camera but luckily not yet. Bikes are a problem. I may need to run the wire up higher. Luckily the camera came with a long wire.

#7 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 28 December 2021 - 05:30 AM

My 2016 F150 had a plug and play kit I found online.. I got the license plate version, but found it was too low and easy to kick while getting into the camper,  and we carry bikes sometimes and it was useless.. I ran the wire along the door frame and mounted up high above the door and its much better..

So you relocated the same license plate cam up above the door? 

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 December 2021 - 06:57 AM

I installed an AutoVox V5Pro and mounted the camera up high (top of the camper door) and love this setup.

#9 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:02 PM

So you relocated the same license plate cam up above the door? 

Correct and ran the wire in the door trim (exterior) and used clear caulk to hold in place..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#10 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:06 PM

My 07 Tundra did not have a cam so I got one of the Type S wireless solar ones. It was a license plate mount but I mounted it halfway on the screen door. It’s inside so protected from dust, mud etc and still gets sun. I have had it over a year now and am very satisfied.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users