• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#11 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:06 PM

My 07 Tundra did not have a cam so I got one of the Type S wireless solar ones. It was a license plate mount but I mounted it halfway on the screen door. It’s inside so protected from dust, mud etc and still gets sun. I have had it over a year now and am very satisfied.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#12 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:06 PM

My 07 Tundra did not have a cam so I got one of the Type S wireless solar ones. It was a license plate mount but I mounted it halfway on the screen door. It’s inside so protected from dust, mud etc and still gets sun. I have had it over a year now and am very satisfied.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#13 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 28 December 2021 - 03:29 PM

These all sound like great options, and the up high seems to be the way to go. I was just hoping to not have to add another monitor (dash clutter) or replace mirror ( mine has on star and other features). It would be great if I could just connect to my radio screen with one of the for mentioned, flash upgrades.

#14 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 28 December 2021 - 04:33 PM

My truck has all the camera options, but I still had to figure out how to replace the tailgate camera when my Grandby is installed. I bought the OEM camera that is part of the tailgate handle assembly (it’s a 1 inch cube, roughly), made an enclosure out of a 45 degree pvc ell, and mounted it on the strip of metal that is installed on the door to prevent damage if you have the rear wall steps option. That put the camera almost exactly where the tailgate camera was, so the view is the same whether I have the tailgate or the camper installed.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#15 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 04:35 PM

Here’s a photo of the camera installation

Attached Thumbnails

• 767057CA-3179-4B76-A794-EB0D5EA77C33.jpeg

Jon R

#16 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 28 December 2021 - 08:07 PM

That is slick!!!!!!!! Nice work.

#17 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 December 2021 - 10:27 PM

Jon I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado. I bought the GM replacement camera (the one in the tailgate) I made a box.... popped it in and attached it below the rear door (as my camper hangs out over truck bed) then plugged it in as the tailgate one and bingo on dash same ole same ole. I suppose with a plug and clip/wire you could mount same above door.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#18 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 29 December 2021 - 03:52 PM

Sounds like a lot of you already had the truck wired and programmed for the camera. Not the case for me. When I purchased the truck, the sales person told me that my truck (as it sits) was not equipped for a camera and I would need to instal a new radio head unit, run a harness and instal a camera. 

Good news, he had no idea what he was talking about!!!!

I always wondered what all the 3 digit codes were on the inside glovebox sticker. These codes tell the story of what factory options your truck has. The code for my radio was IOB (7" MyLink). 

I reached out to a vehicle interface, upgrade company I found online, OBD Genie. They informed me that based on my radio unit, I should already be set up and wired for a backup camera! All I needed was to upload the programming to my unit and buy a camera. I went out and looked under the dash and located the computer port to plug in their upgrade device. I then looked under the rear bumper and located the factory installed wire harness for the camera (had a dummy plug capping it off).  

I just purchased their programmer for $115. When it arrives, I just plug it in the port, let it feed my unit the new programming and bingo, I'm ready for a camera. Once the radio is programmed, I then unplug the programmer.

This is the best option (and cheapest) I have found. This also allows me to use my existing radio and the nice 7" screen as the display monitor for the camera.

Now I'm deciding which camera to get. Camera Source and Infortainment both offer a variety of options that come with various cable lengths for multiple mounting locations. All cables come with the OEM Fit plug to mate with my existing harness. 

I'm leaning toward the license plate cam, so I can have the camera even if the fwc is off the truck. I DO worry about the issues of kicking it while entering the camper and also the limited visibility while running the hitch mount bike rack. 

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 29 December 2021 - 03:54 PM.

#19 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 03:12 AM

If in doing your project you are searching for a cable source, i was very happy with my purchase from Pasternack.com. Pasternack will help you order a custom cable on the phone. They even tied in an electrical engineer to answer my questions about which wire type was best for my installation. My cable was about $36 shipped. I can answer questions about the connectors.

Jon R

#20 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 30 December 2021 - 02:36 PM

How did you route the wire from truck to door?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users