• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 30 December 2021 - 04:07 PM

If in doing your project you are searching for a cable source, i was very happy with my purchase from Pasternack.com. Pasternack will help you order a custom cable on the phone. They even tied in an electrical engineer to answer my questions about which wire type was best for my installation. My cable was about $36 shipped. I can answer questions about the connectors.

Good to know Jon. I will keep them in mind if I need more wire length in the event I move the camera to a higher location.

#22 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 30 December 2021 - 04:14 PM

I ordered the license plate cam from Camera Source yesterday. It comes with 5' of wire. I believe this would be enough if I decide to mount the camera up the door a bit. I will start with the license mount and see how it goes from there. 

Total cost:

Camera Source cam-        $199

OBD Genie programmer-  $115

Not too bad considering I can use my existing display monitor for the OEM vibe. (dealer wanted over twice that amount)

#23 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 December 2021 - 04:21 PM

If you look at the photo carefully you can see at least some of it. The wire is slightly less than 1/8 inch outside diameter. It’s black, but I have it covered in white electrical tape to match the camper in exposed areas.

The wire exits the pvc fitting on the opposite side from the direction I routed it because the right angle FAKRA connector was clocked that way, so I was stuck with that (Pasternack might have been able to orient it the other way, but I didn’t know enough to ask at the time I ordered the wire and I made do).

So the wire exits the pvc fitting toward the latch, but is immediately bent around to dive under the 1.5”x0.125” aluminum strip on which the pvc ell is mounted. At the hinge line the wire comes upward out from behind that strip and has a stress relief loop to handle the door opening motion. I then ran it down the door trim, which had a slot into which it fit snugly. I have a couple of pieces of white tape holding it in, but if you look closely you can see a few spots where the black wire shows. It then drops off the bottom of the camper below the hinge line trim (more white electrical tape), and dives behind the bumper, where I zip tie a little excess near the truck’s connector. I imagine I’ll need to touch up the electrical tape in the future, but i bought high quality 3M tape and so far it’s held up well.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#24 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:24 PM

I was able to purchase a camera from Ford dealer and install into lower rear bed panel with a home made bracket. It plugged into factory harness where the tail gate camera plugged into.20160423_180456.jpg

#25 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 31 December 2021 - 11:13 PM

Pasternack will help you order a custom cable on the phone. 

Thanks for the cable answers. So was there a part number or another place to start at Pasternack? Or is calling the only way? I assume you said you had "x" truck in "y" year with rear view camera... etc.

We installed our camera at the bottom of the camper, which works. But not great because the field of view isn't as designed. I like the idea of an aluminum bar across the door, which looks easy to install. Those are easy to find at big box hardware stores.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#26 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 01 January 2022 - 12:02 AM

I'm thinking I will screw my came to the door if the low down mount becomes an issue. My only concern is the wire fatigue from the hinge point. 

#27 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 04:02 AM

Pasternack has an extensive web site with many wire and connector types, but I had difficulty finding the connectors I wanted and wasn’t sure of the best wire type to order (i wanted thin, able to handle exterior exposure, and handle repeated flexing. I ended up calling and they were very competent and helpful.

GM currently uses FAKRA connectors. They have multiple keying options identified by the color of the connector, or you can order universal non-keyed connectors. The attached photos are of my tailgate camera connector behind the bumper. The camera uses the same connector, but with the black connector keying. Do you know if your 2017 uses the same connector?

I ordered a straight connector on the bumper end of my cable and a right angle connector at the camera end to reduce the depth of the camera/connector assembly for mounting purposes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7B30257D-D267-46C6-A2A4-CEC6C55F4C55.jpeg
  • B5E49DD0-A9B6-44D3-B105-E7FCE262FD19.jpeg

Edited by Jon R, 01 January 2022 - 04:04 AM.

Jon R

#28 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 01 January 2022 - 03:26 PM

Pasternack has an extensive web site with many wire and connector types, but I had difficulty finding the connectors I wanted and wasn’t sure of the best wire type to order (i wanted thin, able to handle exterior exposure, and handle repeated flexing. I ended up calling and they were very competent and helpful.

GM currently uses FAKRA connectors. They have multiple keying options identified by the color of the connector, or you can order universal non-keyed connectors. The attached photos are of my tailgate camera connector behind the bumper. The camera uses the same connector, but with the black connector keying. Do you know if your 2017 uses the same connector?

I ordered a straight connector on the bumper end of my cable and a right angle connector at the camera end to reduce the depth of the camera/connector assembly for mounting purposes.

My connector under the bumper has way more pins than that. Camera Source is supplying the proper cable for my truck. They also offer various lengths if I need to move the unit.

#29 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:57 PM

On the current trucks there is a large connector for the tailgate that has many pins, and the camera connector is that separate FAKRA connector. They must have changed it after your year.

Jon R

#30 mobilelists

mobilelists

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 02 January 2022 - 12:18 AM

Is there a blank (no wiring) cover to reseal that large connector feeding the tailgate when removed? Something better than a plastic bag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users