Adding Backup Cam

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 11:37 PM

My 2017 Chev came with a blank in the glove box. Traded to a 2020 , no blank, and the connector was 4 times bigger and a pain to seal off. Ordered the harness with the tailgate camera last week. ($95 CDN) I will make a box and mount it under the door. 

Well, I picked up the harness yesterday and found it didn't include the camera. It was a new Guy in parts and he thought it included the camera. No problem, I thought it sounded too good. Anyway , another 140 bucks for the camera. 

#42 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:17 AM

Well, I picked up the harness yesterday and found it didn't include the camera. It was a new Guy in parts and he thought it included the camera. No problem, I thought it sounded too good. Anyway , another 140 bucks for the camera. 

I thought $95 for harness and cam sounded low. What cam are you getting and where are you mounting it? Camera Source has cams and OEM harness combos for 200 bucks.

#43 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:45 PM

I thought $95 for harness and cam sounded low. What cam are you getting and where are you mounting it? Camera Source has cams and OEM harness combos for 200 bucks.

Would consider Camera source but with the exchange, duty and shipping I didn't think it would be worth the hassle. 

#44 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:14 AM

There have got to be companies out there making adapters that plug into the truck's proprietary connector and terminate in a standard composite video RCA type connector.  With that in place, there are countless inexpensive cameras out there than can be used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users