Photo
- - - - -

How much water and diesel do I really need?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:17 PM

Since we have quite a bit of specialized knowledge here in this forum I am really interested in hearing opinions on how much water and diesel I really need for full time travel. Keep in mind that my RAM is gasoline so the diesel will only be used to power my stove, heater and water heater.

Here are some details regarding my initial plans:

Diesel: my first though was to install a 30-gallon TITAN tank where my spare tire is. It's a $2k part which isn't bad but when I calculate the numbers I am now capable of running my heater for approximately one month straight, 24 hours per day. To me that sounds somewhat excessive. I figured one to two weeks of intermittent use would be sufficient so five or maybe ten gallons?

Water: I drink lots of milk and even more Coke, although I have been working to reduce the Coke side. So drinking water is low on the list but I use it for cleaning plates and showering. The heating system I am in the process of designing will already hold five gallons so that is separate. Most folks seem to opt for around twenty gallons of potable water which seems fine to me. Although most of my water will be filled from a tap I am designing my system so I can pull from a stream, push it though a filter, and store.

While in the military, a fair amount of my training was centered on survival so that part of my brain says go for the maximum with reason. I am in my mid-50s now, I enjoy harsh climates, and I go places most don't so if I have a mechanical failure or become stuck I can relax in freezing weather for approximately one month before I even begin to worry.

Basic system - 10 gallons of diesel and 20 gallons of potable water.

Optional system - 30 gallons of diesel and 30 gallons of potable water.

Your thoughts?

Edited by ramblinChet, 30 December 2021 - 05:20 PM.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#2 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:59 PM

I can't help you with the diesel (except 30 gallons does seem like a lot for your use).  For water, we have the 20-gallon internal tank in our FWC and an additional 6-gallons in the water heater.  We also carry 2, 2.5-gallon Scepters with our primary drinking water (although there is no reason we can't drink the tank water).  For longer trips we also have 2 of the 2-gallon Rotopax water containers we can attach to brackets on the outside of the camper.  So, a max of 35 gallons on board if needed.  We seem to use about 3-4 gallons a day, so that would potentially last us 10 days +/-.  However, I have also thought about a pump/filter system that would allow us to refill from any water source - water is one of those survival things that I never want to have to worry about.

Aside from drinking/washing/bathing, one other reason to have extra water capacity is for fire suppression.  We almost got caught in a wildfire camping in Mojave National Preseve last spring.  Someone in a nearby dispersed camp must have left a campfire smoldering on a very windy day and it started the surrounding vegetation on fire.  By the time we noticed the smoke, packed up, and checked it out, it was more than I could handle on my own, so we left to find cell coverage to report.  However, it did get me thinking that having easily accessible water for emergency fire fighting might be prudent.  I have even thought about throwing in one of the collabsable Indian fire pumps to use in such an emergency.

-Scott

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 December 2021 - 07:17 PM

Humans need a fair amount of liquids. How much milk/coke do you carry? I’d be inclined to carry way more water than what you are estimating. I built my Puma with a custom 30 gal tank, and have means of pumping from streams and purifying too.

I’d go low on the diesel for heat, maybe carry a wavian can too if you are testing it out until you are sure how much you need.

#4 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 30 December 2021 - 07:53 PM

i like the idea of water for fire suppression.  i rolled into a FS campground last fall, a week after they started to allow camp fires.  i set up camp, then realized the the fire ring coals were HOT.  last occupant had just left and didnt put any water on fire/coals.  and this was in an area with all sorts of fire signage, and warnings. sheesh.

i lean with vic on diesel volume.  most of the late spring, summer, and early fall, u probably wont need the furnace.

i bought a shell last march, and still havent outfitted the interior, and kinda glad i didnt.  with usage, and more thinking, i am changing up my thinking of what i need, and dont need

Oregon

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 December 2021 - 08:32 PM

I don’t know what your water heater burns, but the Wallas is pretty light on fuel.  My thinking is 10 gallons should be sufficient for a couple of weeks (maybe more) of heavy use.  Jay Byers, username Hunky Dory, on CBrats does extended cruises in SE Alaska.  Try joining that group, they’re much like WTW, then contact Jay.  Keep in mind, they’re often away from fuel sources, so he goes a bit more than others.He is a good guy, and very helpful.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:12 PM

If dealing with 5 or 10 gallons is easier I’d be inclined to go that route. 30 gal seems like way overkill - you are likely to be food limited before you’d use that much fuel.

I would definitely add 10 more gallons of water capacity if that’s affordable and easy.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#7 m5040

m5040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 31 December 2021 - 01:25 AM

I'd go for a diesel powered truck.  Same fuel as heater so you wouldn't need extra and not explosive in a brush fire.

#8 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 December 2021 - 01:42 AM

He just bought that truck and had it customized.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 31 December 2021 - 02:05 AM

Concur on water being a bigee...but even that can be appropriated along the way or you can go on conservation mode if needed...Diesel can not be 'appropriated' [sources found in BFE] and again, going with the law of the limits, figure out how long, where and what 'got to have' you will run out of first..spread sheet on diesel would be appropriate...not certain if weight or volume [space] will be a concern for you.

Humans can live without diesel but not water.....especially drinking water... B)

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 31 December 2021 - 02:33 AM

We have 20 gal of water with the camper and supplement that with four 2 gallon rotopaks. And we still buy a few one or two gallon water containers like Arrowhead. Hate having to go into town just for water.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 31 December 2021 - 02:33 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users