Photo
- - - - -

How much water and diesel do I really need?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 31 December 2021 - 03:38 AM

Wow, so much useful information from a multitude of angles - thanks everyone.

Weight is a minor concern of mine since this is a RAM 3500 with 4k payload and the majority of the roads I have experienced over the past several years are maintained trails with some unmaintained ones. Since the early 90s I have been building and wheeling Jeeps on some pretty extreme trails so my focus now has been more on back country exploration versus let's see if I can make it over that obstacle. All that being said weight is still a concern so I am not reckless regarding piling on pounds.

Regarding temporary and permanent solutions - when I envision a temporary solution I see two Jerry cans for diesel and four for water which is fine but I am not really keen on storing diesel inside the FWC. Many I have talked to say it is a non-issue but I have no first hand experience so by default, my desire is to store the diesel externally.

If I am going to store the diesel externally this is easiest accomplished with the thirty gallon tank under the bed - problem solved. Now that leaves me with two additional slots internally for water so six Jerry cans instead of four. And yes, I can keep weight down and leave several of the empty - same with the diesel storage under the bed.

Another person shared an idea of relating the storage capacity to the range of the vehicle although my plan is to spend at least two or three days in a particular area, move a bit, spend a few more, etc. I believe my goal is to spend 10-15 days out in the forest or mountains until I stop back into town to refresh, resupply, etc. Then again, these are just plans and ideas for me at this point.

I guess ten gallons of diesel and twenty gallons of water inside would be a good place to begin - I am just concerned with the smell of diesel.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge related to the SCEPTER or WAVIAN five gallon fuel cans?

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#12 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 December 2021 - 04:52 AM

Diesel is relatively safe to carry from a flammability standpoint (Diesel #2 has a flash point of 125F or higher). However, from a property damage standpoint, if you spill it in your camper, you will be smelling it for a long time. If the container is vented or leaks fumes, they will permeate the fabrics and foam, and that smell won’t go away for a long time. Personally I wouldn’t carry any diesel or auto gas in my camper.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#13 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 31 December 2021 - 12:45 PM

I generally figure a gallon of water per person per day, and usually start our trips with 15 to 20 gallons for 2 people.
This is for drinking, cooking, some light dishwashing, and maybe a sponge bath, but no showering. We refill whenever the opportunity arrises just to stay on top of it. We also carry a water filter in case we can find a source and don't want to head out of the backcountry.

#14 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 31 December 2021 - 04:59 PM

I generally figure a gallon of water per person per day, and usually start our trips with 15 to 20 gallons for 2 people.
This is for drinking, cooking, some light dishwashing, and maybe a sponge bath, but no showering. We refill whenever the opportunity arrises just to stay on top of it. We also carry a water filter in case we can find a source and don't want to head out of the backcountry.

Sleddog is spot on....we estimate about the same consumption and usage..might add, I have used a lot of backpacking water filters over the years and the Steri-Pen is my go to device now....2 mins per liter; only one to take our viruses...in a pinch with our Hawk we could get by with the SP....our BFE times are about 10-14 days off grid...and we carry a 7 gallon carboy that we use first and then go to onboard 26 gallons...plus carry 4 one liter bottles in the Tundra cup holders... 2 persons..

Edited by Wallowa, 31 December 2021 - 05:01 PM.

#15 FAW3

FAW3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 01 January 2022 - 02:03 PM

Water: My Hawk has the OEM 20 gal + 6 gal hot water tank set up.  I carry 2 Scepter cans for a supplemental 10 gallons.  Have, use, and love the outdoor shower.  2 persons can go 5 days and one person can do 7+ easily and this is keeping one can as a reserve. This is being reasonably prudent with water use…not minimalist mode.  Having the cans with a nozzle allows me to fill water (onboard tank or jugs) by typical hose bib, campground/farm manual pump, or stream/lake.  I find we normally roam into a town with water available about every 2-4 days when traveling.  

Change the plastic FWC drain valve out for a real tap…won’t break & very handy.  No pump…no problem.

Fuel: Ram 3500 diesel has an honest 35 gallon tank and my range is 400+ miles.  I carry no extra fuel.  In your specific case I’d try to use that spare tire space for your furnace/stove diesel tank and the clicking fuel pump.  Make it an well integrated simple system that is easy to fill, inspect, and service.  

Edited by FAW3, 01 January 2022 - 02:06 PM.

Frank W.

Ram3500 & FWC Hawk

#16 UmkaAndHawk

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:45 AM

Just for info: we are extremely thrifty on washing (sponge baths!) and careful with dishes etc.. [we have a separate 3 gal solar shower, which we use ~4 "showers" per trip. It's extra wash water, if it was too cold to shower outside] Our current approach has a 7 gal wash water, and 7 gal of drink and cooking water. We hike nearly everyday we're out in the camper. This winds up lasting about three-four days for two people. We drink only water, beer, and tequila, approximately in that quantity order.

For longer trips we pump/filter water from nearby lakes or streams. 

Edited by UmkaAndHawk, 21 January 2022 - 12:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users