17 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 January 2022 - 06:03 PM

It was the winter holidays. We had a break in the weather. Where should/did we go? The answer is in our latest blog post that you can find here -

Winter Solstice Trip - December 2021

We hope you enjoy it and we wish you all a very Happy New Year!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 January 2022 - 06:59 PM

A wonderful trip report, Julie’s knees did well, Ted was feeling better (very good news), and I learned a new definition for cat house.  Thanks for sharing, thanks for the vicarious journey!  :)

I am haunted by waters

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 January 2022 - 10:20 PM

"cat house" indeed.  Should have guessed such a reference would pop up after mentioning that the Wildcat Ranch was a favorite landmark (not stopover!) along the way... ;-)

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 04 January 2022 - 02:58 AM

Great minds!

We left on Friday the 17th and also chose NV 95 instead of 395 with chain controls.   We were just a day ahead of you, using 360 over Montgomery Pass.   We kept going to Big Pine and over North Pass to Saline Valley, but that's another story.

We also photographed the rising moon and flying military hardware, but from the other side of the Inyo range.   Really cool you met up with the Ted's for Panamint Valley.   We were there later that week.

Finally, we also were at Benton Hot Springs but at sites #2 and #4 on Wednesday and Thursday last week.   We were coming home and passing through Tonopah, with Hwy 80 closed and thought, "why not check for an opening at Benton?"  

BINGO!

I would try to write up a TR, but our home is still without power after eight days.   I'm typing this on generator power, but with Comcast internet.  Strange world.   It's been over 18 days since we've had line voltage, living on 12v batteries and NG powered generator.

Edited by Lighthawk, 04 January 2022 - 03:01 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 January 2022 - 02:47 PM

You guys sure have a knack for finding those petroglyphs.  In all my wanderings, I've only found two, one in Death Valley NP and one in KOFA.  Years ago I encountered those cowboy petroglyphs you pictured in one of your KOFA TR and I completely missed the native ones almost adjacent to them.  I did 'find' them on a later hike.

Are you suggesting you consistently followed your dad's advice or that he was just prescient?

Thanks for the great TR.

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 03:41 PM

A wonderful trip report, Julie’s knees did well, Ted was feeling better (very good news), and I learned a new definition for cat house.  Thanks for sharing, thanks for the vicarious journey!   :)

Thanks Mr. Sage! We were so glad to be able to get Ted out into some rougher country. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 03:44 PM

"cat house" indeed.  Should have guessed such a reference would pop up after mentioning that the Wildcat Ranch was a favorite landmark (not stopover!) along the way... ;-)

Vic, thanks for the nice comment! We get such a kick out of those columns around the Wildcat Ranch we couldn't resist cat house. :)

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 03:52 PM

Great minds!

We left on Friday the 17th and also chose NV 95 instead of 395 with chain controls.   We were just a day ahead of you, using 360 over Montgomery Pass.   We kept going to Big Pine and over North Pass to Saline Valley, but that's another story.

We also photographed the rising moon and flying military hardware, but from the other side of the Inyo range.   Really cool you met up with the Ted's for Panamint Valley.   We were there later that week.

Finally, we also were at Benton Hot Springs but at sites #2 and #4 on Wednesday and Thursday last week.   We were coming home and passing through Tonopah, with Hwy 80 closed and thought, "why not check for an opening at Benton?"  

BINGO!

I would try to write up a TR, but our home is still without power after eight days.   I'm typing this on generator power, but with Comcast internet.  Strange world.   It's been over 18 days since we've had line voltage, living on 12v batteries and NG powered generator.

Yes, Lighthawk we experienced east siders do tend to think alike! :)

Great that you and SR were able to score two nights at Benton!

We are looking forward to your tale of solstice adventure!

Comcast is our provider also but around here their backup batteries to run the system last almost exactly three hours after PG&E goes out. No need to ask us how we know. :) Many around here are still waiting for power to be restored. We hope are back on the grid soon!

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 04 January 2022 - 03:56 PM

You guys sure have a knack for finding those petroglyphs.  In all my wanderings, I've only found two, one in Death Valley NP and one in KOFA.  Years ago I encountered those cowboy petroglyphs you pictured in one of your KOFA TR and I completely missed the native ones almost adjacent to them.  I did 'find' them on a later hike.

Are you suggesting you consistently followed your dad's advice or that he was just prescient?

Thanks for the great TR.

Thanks dr. tucson for the kind comment! As you find more and more rock art sites you do develop a knack for where to look. Keep at it and it will come. Of course, this is something my Dad taught me so many years ago. :)

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 04 January 2022 - 04:46 PM

Good thing your dad shared his wisdom. Thanks for the TR. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users