Photo
- - - - -

Breaking Tire Lug Studs. (and other tire issues)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 06 January 2022 - 03:27 AM

Lug wrenches that come on most vehicles are not good. One handle and at an angle. I have always replaced with a old style cross or X style wrench. Two years ago a friend had a flat when we were off road. He jacked up his truck, put a jack stand under the axle (you should carry a jack stand). Out comes his cordless 1/2 inch impact wrench. One of the first things I purchased for my new van was a cordless 1/2 impact wrench. And yes it is for removal only, never used to tighten a lug nut. 

#12 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 06 January 2022 - 04:19 AM

It is a good idea to do some reading on dry torque versus wet torque if you decide to use anti-sieze compound. Installing wet increases bolt tension about 20% versus dry at a given torque. This matters in some situations. Most owner’s and shop manuals I’ve seen specifically call for clean, dry installation of lug nuts/bolts.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 January 2022 - 05:51 AM

Installing wet increases bolt tension about 20% versus dry at a given torque.

Meaning we should reduce the torque by 20% when using lube?

#14 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 January 2022 - 07:19 AM

It is a good idea to do some reading on dry torque versus wet torque if you decide to use anti-sieze compound. Installing wet increases bolt tension about 20% versus dry at a given torque. This matters in some situations. Most owner’s and shop manuals I’ve seen specifically call for clean, dry installation of lug nuts/bolts.

True.  But those specs were created for a clean, dry, un-corroded thread; something I won't see after a winter in Minnesota.  Most lug threads here will have a resistive drag from corrosion that gives a higher torque reading, resulting in less than the desired bolt stretch (under tightening).

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#15 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 January 2022 - 02:33 PM

Lug wrenches that come on most vehicles are not good. One handle and at an angle. I have always replaced with a old style cross or X style wrench. Two years ago a friend had a flat when we were off road. He jacked up his truck, put a jack stand under the axle (you should carry a jack stand). Out comes his cordless 1/2 inch impact wrench. One of the first things I purchased for my new van was a cordless 1/2 impact wrench. And yes it is for removal only, never used to tighten a lug nut. 

X2 on the 4-way lug wrench.  I always keep one aboard specifically because of the crappy angle and resulting lack of real leverage the OEM lug wrench provides.  In these modern times, I keep a Klutch 1/2" drive cordless impact wrench and a set of deep well impact sockets aboard, also. For a more precise set-up on using the 4-way, a jack stand can be positioned to hold the opposite leg of the 4-way in a position more perpendicular to the wheel and can act to better allow application of some "foot torque" to the problem.  One wonders if  your lug studs would have sheared off as readily if not for the angled force which standing on the OEM wrench created.  

Foy

#16 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 06 January 2022 - 09:57 PM

Meaning we should reduce the torque by 20% when using lube?

If similar bolt tension is your goal then yes, but there’s also the concern of the nut loosening to consider. Personally, I keep the studs and nuts clean, loosen and retorque every year on vehicles that don’t get tires rotated, and I don’t use lubricant or anti-sieze compound. I live near Seattle where road salt isn’t used, so that works for me. I understand others live in high corrosion areas and use other practices. However, if you are choosing not to follow the manufacturer’s recommendation on a critical fastener, it should be based on knowledge of the effects.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#17 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 07 January 2022 - 03:30 AM

This article on Overland Tech and Travel might help. 

#18 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 07 January 2022 - 12:37 PM

If you get the proper Torque limiting extension (torque stick)  you are fine to use the impact wrench to install the lug nuts.

I carry my 1/2 Milwauke in my truck and have a 140ftlb torque stick with the right size impact socket. (factory spec is 150 ftlb +-10).

I checked it after I got it and it is extremely consistent.

With that high of a torque a 4 way didn't work well for me, I used to carry a long 1/2" breaker bar.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 January 2022 - 04:05 PM

In another life (back when I was young man) I once had a tire come off my Jeep and roll down the hill. Fortunately it was on a trail at an extremely slow speed and another participant had spare lug nuts. Another time in an old dodge I lost two lug nuts and the other three had wallowed out the holes to the point I had to be towed. 

Pay attention to odd vibrations. On the Jeep I thought I had a u-joint going bad. 

I carry X-style wrenches in both vehicles. Since I started using anti-seize I've never had an issue with lugs coming loose. I've had pretty good luck just using my "that feels about right" type torqueing. Probably a good idea to check the lugs about the same time you check the tie downs.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#20 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 January 2022 - 05:16 PM

In another life (back when I was young man)  [Thanks Craig!] I worked evenings and weekends at my dad's gas station. I fixed a lot of flats, changed a lot of tires. Got pretty good at lug nut tightening. Also learned to fear split rims as if they were bombs -- ready to explode if not handled just right. I do have a mechanical torque wrench. Works pretty well. Also use a star wrench. I have the dealer rotate the tires during regular service. Eyeball the lugs afterwards, and carefully listen/feel for anything not right after the service work. Sometimes in years past I have found loose lug nuts. The OEM wrench is pathetic, but if you use a cheater bar and don't let anything twist from perpendicular, even a little, you should be o.k. 

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users