• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ST85

ST85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 11:59 PM

Hello, I am in the process of building out out new Hawk Shell and I’m struggling on some bigger equipment selections. 

1. On demand vs 6 Gal hot water heater? Brand?

2. Water pump brand and how many GPM I actually need. 

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has come up against these decisions… Is there a thread I have not seen discussing this, or does anyone have any light they can shed on this?

Thanks, 

ST

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:34 AM

Shurflo pumps are very common in many if not most RV applications.  I’m not sure of the GPM needed, but if you Google it, there’s lots of info.

I’m going to be the contrarian, I hate RV water heaters.  IMO, they waste water and take up space.  In both our camper and Airstream, we rarely use ours.   We just leave them empty and on bypass.  For us, it’s far easier to heat water for dishes and bathing on the stovetop.  All that said, I believe Dometic maybe the most common brand.  If I were doing a build and needed a WH, my preference would be an on demand.

Please document your camper build with a thread here on WTW, it will be a great guideline for others doing a build.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Charlie

Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSugarloaf, Colorado

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:17 AM

You’ll probably be more confused than helped, given the variety of opinions that will undoubtably surface here.

We are very satisfied with the Surflo pump and the Dometic 6 gal. water heater that FWC installed in our 2019 Hawk. I think that the pump is rated at 3 gal/min, which is well matched for our camping activities. The water heater has been very reliable and fool proof to operate. We find it to be really convenient for dish cleanup and bathing. We turn it on before cooking breakfast, and likewise at dinner time. It doesn’t use very much propane. It seems to hold its heat really well. The 6 gal. of water actually provides a backup; it can be drained back into your main tank if that runs out. But of course it does take up some space. 

I don’t have any experience with on-demand water heaters, but I’m suspicious of them. It takes a huge amount of energy to quickly heat up a significant flow of cold water.  There have been several discussions on the forum about them, and maybe someone has reported good results. 

#4 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:24 AM

I have no experience with them in an rv, but I’ve read that on demand is not a good choice if you are trying to conserve water (as we often are in these campers). In addition to the water in the lines downstream of the heater (same as for a tank), the on demand heater only comes on with flow and, while they are pretty fast, they still have a bunch of thermal mass to heat up in the heat exchanger (metal and water). Meanwhile, you are running water for several seconds waiting for the heater to produce hot water.

If my camper had just been for me, I would not have ordered a water heater. Having worked out a shower bag system for backpacking, I don’t need it. However, my wife really wanted it. I have to admit after hiking the tank makes it easy to do multiple showers in a row. We actually use it on day trips quite a bit after swimming and for hosing down the sandy grandchild at the beach.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:38 AM

Mine is a suburban. It gets a fair amount of use. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:43 AM

I agree that hot water heaters are not a good investment. Something else to go wrong that we have not had any problem doing without. The shurflo pump is standard and easily fixed or replaced if an issue comes up. 

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#7 Hoopy

Hoopy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationsouthern Wa

Posted 10 January 2022 - 05:39 AM

Hi,  

lots of options talked about ... our personal preferences that work for us are jugs and boiling water in winter and summer we use on demand heater for showers and clean up,   Hoop

#8 MaverickMTB

MaverickMTB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2022 - 07:25 AM

My Raven arrives next week. I am a huge fan of hot water and have been researching since I placed my order over a year ago. My previous truck camper, a Hallmark Milner, had the popular 6 gallon Suburban propane unit. Showering outside after a day of mountain biking the hot water seemed endless. The unit was reliable and I liked the extra six gallons in addition to my 20 gallon water tank. However, my truck is a 1500 and I could feel those 26 gallons sloshing back and forth around every turn and dip in the road. That was too much water for my half-ton truck. I got rid of the old Hallmark Milner (probably weighed 1600lbs and the wood frame was starting to rot). With the Raven shell, I’m only installing the necessities. Heat and hot water. If I cook, it will be with a Jetboil or outside. I want maximum interior space. After lots of research, I settled on a Chinese knock-off of the Truma Combi combo heater and hot water boiler. It’s a JP CR-12 LPG also branded as a Wolf 6000. The Truma is $3500, the Wolf is $2500 and the JP was $1000 plus $500 shipping. When it arrived, it had all the Wolf branding… so go figure. I first heard of the Truma when researching truck campers. The Overland Explorer Camp-X camper comes standard with a Truma Combi. I like the Camp-X but they go for near $40k with no shell option, at least not a year ago when I was shopping. The JP unit is self contained and has a 6 liter boiler. Far less than the Suburban, but more than an on-demand unit. All the reviews say the heater is very quiet. I like that the heat is delivered through duct work so the machine can be isolated in a cabinet. My old suburban furnace, like the stock furnace in the FWC, would cycle all night constantly waking me up. I ordered a narrow 11 gallon water tank from plastic-mart that will have the same footprint as the JP. I intend to mount the tank on the floor near the front window with the JP heater on top (on a shelf made of 80/20 aluminum). Stacked, they will be flush with the tops of the side benches, completing my U-shaped seating area. With the heater and water tucked under the new front seat, the rest of the Raven will have “lots” of room for 3-4 of us to sit around a Lagun table. I’m planning to house my ARB fridge in the rear seat of the truck. I really want as much weight low and towards the middle as possible. I’m even considering moving the whole battery bank to the rear floor of the truck. It drives me nuts that FWC piles all of the heavy appliances on the same side as the driver. If you’re solo, you, plus the water heater, fridge, sink, stove, batteries, are all leaning to Port. Plus, they hang the fridge way towards the back of the camper/truck bed. Just throws the whole vehicle off-center. Good luck with whatever you decide. Planning and re-planning is half the fun of the shell model!

Here’s the pump I selected.

SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

And the accumulator tank… supposed to help keep the pump from constantly cycling:

SHURflo 182-200 Pre-Pressurized Accumulator Tank,Black, 9.1" x 4.8" x 3.8" https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

This is the JP Combi heater. Purchased from JP Industries distributor out of Canada:

https://m.car-parkin...a-combi-6e.html

Camper X camper just FYI:

https://atoverland.c...up-truck-camper

And lastly the water tank:

https://m.plastic-ma...poly-tank-rb319 no

Edited by MaverickMTB, 10 January 2022 - 07:33 AM.

#9 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 January 2022 - 02:05 PM

Hi
Our experience is also that we don’t use the water heater that much, but I think nice to have. The accumulator makes for smooth water flow. You don’t get extra 6 gallons, because when the main tank is empty, the 6 in the water heater has no way of being pumped out.
Only running the water heater till a comfortable temperature is reached you can shower with only opening the hot water line. Not trying to mix saves a lot of water. We only shower in outside tent.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 10 January 2022 - 07:50 PM

Water heaters are nice, mine takes 20 minutes or so to heat up and cycle off. So there is a wait time.

I always have water in it to be ready to use, but many trips it does not get used. Water is ready to be heated but no propane is used.

Have a aluminum pot that can heat water on the stove at night, strip down and do a sponge bath, quick and easy. What little hair I have can wash it with half of or so quart bottle.

I did install a shower tent on the side of the camper, someday looking forward to using it as there is no feeling like a hot water shower.

*Added clarification first 2 paragraphs.

Edited by pvstoy, 11 January 2022 - 01:11 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users