Photo

Mis-Matching Lift struts Force on a FWC?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BroDameron

BroDameron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 04:31 AM

Recently went snowboarding with my FWC. It has 4x 40lb lift struts and after 4" of wet snow dropped I was stupidly almost crushed trying to drop the roof back down.  After clearing as much as I could it was still very difficult to raise later.  

Could I do 80lb lifts for just 2 struts and leave the 40lb ones on opposite corners? (like Driver Front and Passenger Rear matching)  My brain thinks no that would be bad for the roof, but idk.

If not, do you think 4x 80lbs will be to hard to close? My roof was rebuilt a couple years back and a touch heavier than a standard FWC's roof, plus I have maybe 20lbs of solar and a 7ft roofbox that will store surf/snowboards.  Call it 70lbs ish.

#2 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:24 AM

Get a snow rake with an extension pole.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:08 PM

+1

I am haunted by waters

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:25 PM

Carry an On-Stage crank up speaker stand (and a snow rake) for such situations maybe? 

or better carry a DIY 12v linear actuator lift.

https://www.wanderth...t-device/page-2

Edited by ckent323, 12 January 2022 - 07:29 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:03 PM

I don't think you want miss-matched struts on the same end of your camper.   The force from the struts is in line with the struts, so when the roof is not fully up, most of the force is actually horizontal, not vertical.   With miss-matched struts on diagonal corners they will try to rotate the roof, if they are on the same side, they will push the roof off to one side.   You could use different strength struts at each end of the camper if that would help.

Also note that lift struts provide very little help when you begin to lift the roof, at that point they are almost horizontal and almost all the force is outwards, not upwards.   As you lift the roof they provide more assistance, and as importantly stop the roof from crashing down.   For me anyway, the first part of the lift is the most awkward when you are all crouched down, and the struts don't help much there. 

Best option is to clean as much snow off as possible (or live somewhere with champaign powder), then consider a lifting aid like the linear actuator or speaker stand.   Also realize that if the roof is really heavy you run the risk of bending it if you apply too much force, regardless of the mechanism.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:37 PM

<if the roof is really heavy you run the risk of bending it if you apply too much force, regardless of the mechanism.>

+1

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#7 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:49 PM

Mismatched struts is a no-go.

Too much stuff on my roof:  

- two 100W solar panels,

- MaxxFan,

- cell booster antenna.

A snow rake on a long pole gets easily hung up and is difficult to raise with a long moment arm.  Been there, tried that.  At my age I need to be careful of heavy lifting with arms above heart.

Carry an On-Stage crank up speaker stand (and a snow rake) for such situations maybe?  . . .

My On-Stage speaker stand is rated for 80#; not sure is that is sufficient.

But it does make a great center of ceiling support when a heavy snowfall is expected.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#8 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:40 AM

Desert rat here, so please pardon my ignorance re: snow loads on popup roofs, but . . . doesn't it seem reasonable that you'd just drop the rear of the roof (entry door end) when a significant snowfall is anticipated?  Then, the roof angle would seem (to me) to allow any snow that does accumulate on that surface to be more easily removed by an extension snow rake or some such.  Guess I must be missing something?

Rico. 

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#9 BroDameron

BroDameron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 07:17 AM

Desert rat here, so please pardon my ignorance re: snow loads on popup roofs, but . . . doesn't it seem reasonable that you'd just drop the rear of the roof (entry door end) when a significant snowfall is anticipated?  Then, the roof angle would seem (to me) to allow any snow that does accumulate on that surface to be more easily removed by an extension snow rake or some such.  Guess I must be missing something?

Rico. 

I would have thought the same before this experience, I drove at speeds of 60mph+ for 40min without losing any of the snow that I couldn't reach to dust off beforehand.  it was heavy and sticky.  I guess I'll put 2 80lb helpers on the rear only see how it operates, then switch out and just 2 80lb helpers on the front (with 40lb helpers on the other side in each case) and see how the opening and closing goes.  Only a $30 experiment. 

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 14 January 2022 - 04:48 PM

Rando makes a good point about the lifters being horizontal at the beginning of the lift. If you have a partner, one person helps push from the exterior while the other person is inside pushing the lift boards into place. My wife and I had to do this on our last trip with a rocket box, plus crossbars and a solar panel on the roof.

Our 40# Suspa struts are 10 years old, and getting some rust and have a bit of stickshun. I bought a set of 60# struts from another WTW member and plan to install them this weekend.

===========edit===========

New struts are 40# rated.  They seem to work perfectly.

Edited by Lighthawk, 16 January 2022 - 01:55 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users