Photo

Mis-Matching Lift struts Force on a FWC?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 14 January 2022 - 05:29 PM

Andy if you have a small ranching strap it makes it easy to match the distance needed to slide right on without trying to push up on the end to ret it on the ball.  See picture.

And as it was stated you would not to mix poundage of strut on the same end.  Teledork had this and one of her brackets ripped off and bent the strut.  could have been coincidence but you have to think.

* re read her post and there was no mention of different poundage on the same end.  I did read that some where.....

20201208_115159_resized_1.jpg

Here is her post of the mangled lift strut.

https://www.wanderth...led-roof-strut/

Edited by pvstoy, 14 January 2022 - 05:37 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 January 2022 - 01:58 AM

Andy if you have a small ranching strap it makes it easy to match the distance needed to slide right on without trying to push up on the end to ret it on the ball.  See picture.

LOL.  I was just saying to Susan, if I had a "ranching" strap!   Instead, I used a pipe wrench (chopped down to 40") which compressed the strut and made the install easier.  I have muscled them in place before and it wasn't fun.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#13 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:36 AM

<if the roof is really heavy you run the risk of bending it if you apply too much force, regardless of the mechanism.>

+1

In addition to this concern, I’d be surprised if the attachment of the strut brackets to the aluminum of the roof will hold up over a long period of time with 80 lb struts. Others have reported them working loose and snapping screws with lower force struts. I think i remember seeing somewhere that FWC states a maximum recommended strut force. I don’t remember what it was, but i don’t think it’s as high as 80 lbs.

Edit: Found it. Page 43 of the current owners manual has, in red text, “Warning: Never exceed 40 lb lift struts.”

Edited by Jon R, 16 January 2022 - 10:07 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users