19 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 January 2022 - 04:43 PM

What a magical place,we enjoy our visits to our coast.

Lots of special places.

Thanks for the wonderful photos.

Sure was a relief from the snow.

Thanks for the report.

Frank

Yes Frank, the northern coast has so many special aspects! Thanks for the nice comments and following along on our adventures. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 19 January 2022 - 12:39 AM

The Bodega Head is a awesome area to check out the coast, just too many people, but worth the visit.

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 January 2022 - 01:38 AM

Every time I've been there its only had a handful of people. Just lucky I guess.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:25 AM

The Bodega Head is a awesome area to check out the coast, just too many people, but worth the visit.

Yes it is, fish more! It is a speculator chunk of coast line, and yes it is usually busy. And watch out for the blackbirds too!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:10 PM

Always good to mix it up occasionally with different terrain. Thanks for the report. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:30 PM

late too the thread but a good one Ski. I have driven there waayyyy back on a motorcycle and then back east.... My brother lives in Bay area Alameda island is a marine mechanic... so worked there a bit too.... when we visited it was always so unique in that there are few places like it on the north shore for safe harbor ... makes it that much more special.  Great photos captured it well. So glad you were brave to jump out there ...we are still hemmed in here in the NE... hunkered

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#17 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 20 January 2022 - 01:50 AM

thx for the excellent report. nice to see u can change it up.

we stayed up in bolinas (airbnb), a few years ago, and did a bunch of hiking in pt reyes nat'l seashore. its a fantastic place, with some nice beaches, great hikes out the point, views, elk, etc.

you two would enjoy the scenery of pt reyes, and i was surprised at the low amount of people - since it was so close to SF.  dont know of camping, but i am sure you could figure out

keep up the good work.

Oregon

#18 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 January 2022 - 03:34 AM

Excellent report on a beautiful locale. Thanks for sharing. I like to think of the pacific coast as monotony that changes all the time! You always know what to expect at the coast, but we are always surprised, and delighted, by several new or unexpected things.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#19 Gussie

Gussie

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationDunsmuir, California, USA

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:14 PM

I'm a pretty poor planner, so I've NEVER been able to drive up and get a campsite on the jetty at Bodega Bay. Looking to remedy my 'shortcoming', I ventured off to their website to see what was available in the upcoming weeks. I was specifically looking at the Jetty Campground for a two night campsite, one that looked south towards the bay (see attached map). Heck, if I'm going to try this planning thing, I might as well get what I think I want! 😉

The 'good' sites were pretty much booked, even through Thanksgiving 2022. Yikes! But I perservered and a found one for Feb 14-16 - as usual, early weekdays are best for availability.

Thanks for the kick in the butt, ski3pin!

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." (Oscar Wilde)

2016 ATC Bobcat on a 2023 Tacoma Off-Road

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 04:29 PM

Gussie, you are welcome and enjoy your stay. Talking with folks at Doran we learned the reason for no more "first come first served" for the unreserved campsites was the fights that broke out between competing campers to claim open sites. Park staff were dealing with hostile situations. Another example of how rude our fellow citizens have become.

Good news is that online reservations are available for the next day. A week ago Saturday Julie and I decided to see if we could get a site for the following Sunday night, several were open and we scored. Another trip report in the works. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users