Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

FWC Electrical basics and upgrading to lithium!

lithium camper electrical batteries charging

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#31 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 01 February 2022 - 06:06 PM

Will the low voltage cutoff feature of my IndelB/Truckfridge work effectively with a lithium battery?  Maybe  this is not important since the BMS will prevent discharge below an unsafe level.

#32 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 February 2022 - 10:00 PM

A lithium battery has a higher resting voltage, and under load the voltage stays higher for much longer too.  So, your low voltage cutoff is likely less of a concern than it would be with an AGM battery.

#33 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 02 February 2022 - 04:42 PM

I’ll second what Vic just wrote. Dometic CFX75D fridge+freezer connected to an ArkPak. With a SLA 105ah marine battery the fridge would frequently shut off. With my newer Renogy LifePo4 100ah battery, it ran down to 5% capacity and the fridge was still running. Yes, I know…I wasn’t paying attention. But unlike the SLA, I’m not too worried that I’ve ruined the battery.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#34 tstumpfig

tstumpfig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 07 February 2022 - 05:57 PM

1. Shore Power- When you’re plugged into an external AC source, like at a campground or an outlet into your garage, the IOTA AC to DC battery charger inside your camper takes the 110v alternating current and turns it into 12v DC power, then sends it to your batteries to provide a charge. Older IOTA chargers have an option to plug in an external module to adjust it’s parameters to better charge lithium batteries, newer ones do not. In my experience, the IOTA charger is typically not able to charge a battleborn battery more than 80-90%. Will this hurt the battery? Well, technically, yes. If used this way long term with no other charging sources, you could see a drop in battery life since it’s not being fully cycled. So, technically YES, but effectively.. NO. Almost NO FWC users plug in on a regular basis. Even if you do plug in regularly, you also more than likely have a second or third charge source that IS capable of charging the battery fully, so the IOTA really becomes a non-issue. So maybe it can only charge 80%. No big deal, solar or the alternator (through a DCDC charger) can take care of the rest, and realistically will be your main charge sources anyway

I'm guessing this is the external module you're talking about?

https://www.iotaengi...teries-with-bms

I have a 2005 hawk with the DLS 30 converter/charger so I'm assuming that it's "old" enough. Will this charge to 100%? Or will we still be at the 80-90% range?

2005 FWC Hawk

2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax CCSB

#35 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 08:07 PM

Yes, that's the one.  This is the manual for that module - 1013590079spec-en.pdf (worldbatteries.net)

The voltages are a bit high for Lithium, so will definitely get you to 100%.  

#36 tstumpfig

tstumpfig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 08 February 2022 - 05:06 PM

I'm guessing this is the external module you're talking about?

https://www.iotaengi...teries-with-bms

I have a 2005 hawk with the DLS 30 converter/charger so I'm assuming that it's "old" enough. Will this charge to 100%? Or will we still be at the 80-90% range?

Thanks, good to know, that would be the last piece of the puzzle for me. This thread caused me to go down a rabbit hole and am installing my battery and DCDC charger later in the week.

2005 FWC Hawk

2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax CCSB

#37 Herbie

Herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 10 February 2022 - 07:06 PM

Yes, that's the one.  This is the manual for that module - 1013590079spec-en.pdf (worldbatteries.net)

The voltages are a bit high for Lithium, so will definitely get you to 100%.  

That's the spec sheet for the non-LIFEPO version of the IQ4.

The LifePo version has slightly different voltage (14.7v bulk) and no Absorption stage.

These are in the manual here:

https://www.donrowe....wners_guide.pdf

#38 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 07:37 PM

Even better.  Thanks for that correction! 

#39 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 15 February 2022 - 10:58 PM

This is awesome info! So if I have my plan right. I can run a 6awg wire from the battery to the truck/camper disconnect plug. Then replace the camper wire with 6awg wire to the breaker. Then I have to put a 100amp breaker in (I hope the IOTA can take a new breaker.) 

Then run 6awg to the Sure power ACR. Then run 6awg to the battery. 

Do i have my steps correct? 

2009 kestral camper with 1-12volt agm battery + 1-120 kv solar panel + portable solar panel as needed

#40 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:40 AM

I'd add a short length of 6awg to a 50A breaker.  I'd consider this one: Blue Sea Surface Mount 285-Series Circuit Breakers (pkys.com)

And only 50A because of the current carrying capacity limits of 6g wire - Part 1: Choosing the Correct Wire Size for a DC Circuit - Blue Sea Systems

then use another 50A breaker where you indicated you would use it above, and from there to the ACR as you said.

The breakers go into the +ve wire.  The negative wire does not need breakers (you are running two wires, yes?  Chassis ground is not a good idea)

What IOTA are you referring to?  The IOTA shore power charger does not factor into this at all.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lithium, camper, electrical, batteries, charging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users