• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 desertmtn

desertmtn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:43 AM

We joined the FWC family this last February when we picked up a Raven Shell from another member.  We came from the roof top tent crowd and though RTT aren’t bad, you can stand up in one, you can’t sit at a table and enjoy a meal or game, and you certainly cannot drive away, without significant hassle.  

B0EE9D20 24C0 49F5 AEE3 698B9358CFE4

During the first few month we experimented with potential layouts that would serve our needs.  A lower bench that converted in to a bed was first created by using plywood supports spanning east to west.  With the addition of a small card table, it was decided that we needed a comfortable dinette that converts into a bed, and the full-queen needed to be enlarged to a full-king.

8C06F22D AD0B 4F7A 9434 ED859BF2790D

Our shell interior was equipped with a battery cabinet and heater.  We wanted to stay true to the silver spur look, make something that could be completely removed without damaging the original shell or leaving numerous screw holes. 

I decided to build a 4 person dinette that would convert into a twin sized bed, increase the upper bed size to a full-king, and add some battery charging and monitoring equipment.  This forum has been an amazing resource for mods/build outs, and I appreciate everyone’s input and help.

5B1DA1EE 997C 4BA7 913F 1CE17AC9542D

I opted for 3/4" birch plywood to make the bench and table, and ½" birch plywood to create a larger upper bed extension.  I did not find silver spur style laminate, but found Wilsonart ‘Pressed Linen’ laminmate to be a close cousin.  I used 5 full 4'x8' sheets of laminate, and a full gallon of rubber cement.  I used black iron on edge banding, finish washers where screws were visible, ordered 5.5 yards of dovetail greystone fabric from FWC. Purchased 3" firm padding, cut to various sizes, from www.buyfoam.com, sourced black vinyl - zippers - thread locally (joann fabric).  I purchased a lagun leg from lagunusa.com, and purchased the king bed extension side rails from FWC.  I used (4) 12" offset piano hinges for the lower bench support, and (4) friction lid supports for the back bench support.  

31641A23 8A16 4C5B 98C2 81CFB3EC52FF

My shell interior is approximately 78"+ wide.  It was constructed with 16" deep seating/ledges, with electrical compartment (driver side) and storage (passenger) being accessed from the top of the seating/ledge.  The height from this seating/ledge surface to the floor is approx 21-1/2".  And the metal finish edging used along the seating/ledge was secured with rounded head screws.  I needed to increase the seating surface depth enough to accommodate a finished 18" deep seat pan, with 3" of foam cushioning on the bottom and the back.  All bench components would need to be capable of accessing the electrical and storage compartments, so the seat pan and back would need to be hinged.  When converted, it would all have to lay flat to make into a bed.

F2CDBB70 B940 420E 9060 A4A914D5696B

After finding the most comfortable chair in my house, I measured the seat height, back angle, heigh from seat to floor, and researched some ergonomic figures on line, I opted for a seat pan/ seat back angle of 100-105°, finished seat pan depth of 18" and a finished seat back cushion height of 18".  In order to accomplish the seat back angle, I had to have the base of the seat back be secured at approximately 5" away from the wall, and not move when pushed against.  I constructed a single 5" deep laminated piece that I fixed nearest the wall as a support.  The lower seat pan bases were mounted to the campers seating/ledge using (2) offset 3/4" piano hinges 1" away from the 5" blocks.  This allowed the bench back to fit into the groove between the hinges and the block, thus, locking the seat back base in place.  I used the friction lid supports on either side of the seat back base to keep them from moving while in motion.  The upper seat back was constructed to rest along the bed extension rails. I constructed a lower bench support that attached to the lower camper side wall using small 90° brackets.  The lower bench support consisted of two vertical pieces, a face and a top.  The lower support height was equal height to the side seating/ledges and extended inward 9".  I constructed a large single bulkhead/false front wall that spanned the width between the side seating/ledges and was just lower than the front window.  I mounted the lagun leg to this false front wall to provide table support as well as support he lower side supports that connected to this, instead of the front camper’s front  wall.  The bench back panels measure 39"x 24" x 3/4", the seat pan panels measure 39"x24'x3/4, and the table measures 33"x29-3/8".  The table is large, it rotates 90° and moves well.  I made it 3" narrower than the bench to allow the lagun leg to remain in place when converted to a bed (but it can easily be removed as well).  When the bench is flat, it spans the width of the Raven and the cushions fit tightly.  A full XL Twin 78"x39". 

E6A6D8B2 5F99 486D 9245 6E143716D94B

3467ABA7 B6B7 49C7 8717 3DBFBF836EE1

E3C83C52 CA57 46DF 83E8 967B3EE895CC

I jumped down the rabbit hole to create cushions.  Again, I wanted to keep the factory look, and I quite like the pattern of the dovetail. I examined the factory cushions, removed the pad, measured the seams, researched sewing box cushions and jumped.  I found sailrite’s videos to be informative.  https://www.sailrite...x-Cushion-Video
My skills improved through the sewing project, but it was a bit of a task.  I made 6 additional cushions, two seat back, two seat bottom, and two bed extension cushions.  If there is anything bad about my project it is that I now am flush with cushions.  Cushions for days.  The cushions measure (2) 21x39 (seat pan; 18" finished depth +3" to allow the loss of 3" with the seat back resting on top); (2) 18x39 (seat back); and, (2) 16.5x39 (bed cushions).  I used dovetail greystone / side zipper / black vinyl plate / 3" firm foam pad. 

8631B705 2544 4C90 AE81 A9FE67BF413F

B72CA144 B179 4DC7 9CA7 2D3D14FF164A

Converting the full-queen bed to a full-king required longer bed rails, additional bed cushions, and a larger bed platform.  I used ½" birch and laminated the top, and lacquered the bottom.  I removed the old extension platform (remove thermal pack and bed rails first or it’s a bugger) and traced it onto a sheet of plywood after adding 17" to its depth.  It fit like a glove and slides smoothly. I can finally sleep N-S on a true king.  

2474FE62 7069 4E2E 9BA5 D82B85F19509

76DA8BFB FF88 4741 BBB8 F1B6AFB6E9CD

Lastly, I tackled some electrical.  I had originally run the 10ga wire from battery to camper, and learned that I could benefit from more current.  I ran 6 awg from the alternator to the camper using anderson connectors in the truck bed.  Installed a dc/dc charger - Victron 12/12 30 non isolated, using 60a fuse/circuit breakers, and installed a Victron bvm 712 battery monitor. I changed out one of the 12v usb chargers for a usb-c charger.  

457E863A 5C37 4C62 AA5F 80FF4A5544D9

4DEED18F 3297 40CE 86BE CE8D58BBCDC4

8C0343A7 007F 4253 B0DE EC5BA5BC65E0

6268EB27 268B 4F95 AEA9 1E21B0F8231B

Overall, I am very satisfied with the finish and functionality of the build so far.  I did make a removeable foot rest platform for the dinette so legs aren’t aimlessly dangling.  It seats and sleeps 4 comfortably, and checks all of our boxes.  In the bed position, it provides a lot of storage space when traveling.  Given that it is a Raven, I don’t have much bare floor space left, but I can still move about easily.  I’m diggin the Raven. Oh yeah, I shortened and relocated the three cubby storage too...

91E9D8CE 0952 4593 B758 8375685EEF8E

#2 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 20 January 2022 - 09:36 PM

Very nicely done desertmtn, really turned out nice, and obvious you took your time and gave it your best effort. I liked that you thought to purchase fabric from FWC, kind of wish I had done that on my build. Also thanks for adding photos, as it helps a lot to visualize. Sailrite is a great resource for how-to videos, including box cushions, as well as some supplies. Great job!

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#3 desertmtn

desertmtn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:06 AM

Very nicely done desertmtn, really turned out nice, and obvious you took your time and gave it your best effort. I liked that you thought to purchase fabric from FWC, kind of wish I had done that on my build. Also thanks for adding photos, as it helps a lot to visualize. Sailrite is a great resource for how-to videos, including box cushions, as well as some supplies. Great job!

Poky

Thanks Poky! 

#4 blitzkrieg3002

blitzkrieg3002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 03:29 PM

awesome build and great job!  looks like you are a pretty skilled craftsman and took your time with attention great to detail.  Well done and enjoy the camper!

#5 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 February 2022 - 04:28 PM

A big THANK YOU! for providing your detailed write-up with a full description and exact dimensions. Having those dimensions and seeing your design is extremely helpful for those of us who are considering a similar project, even if we need to modify things to fit our exact design.

Your mods do an excellent job of retaining and extending the original factory look.
2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

#6 Herbie

Herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 02 February 2022 - 06:30 PM

I really like it.  

The factory front-dinette is really disappointing from a seating-space standpoint - the bump-out for the water tank on full camper models makes it strictly a 1-person per side thing on everything but (maybe) a Grandby.

Another +1 for using factory fabric.  I've previously got the impression that FWC might make some of this stuff available, but I think they'd probably greatly enhance the appeal of the shell models if they formalized and enhanced the availability of extra material for the DIYers.

This looks really great.

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 February 2022 - 07:46 PM

Great looking camper.Have many years of enjoyment with it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 desertmtn

desertmtn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 08:45 PM

Awesome details and thanks for sharing!

Is there any way to enlarge the pictures? I click on them and they are still so small I am unable to make out significant details.

Here is the link to the Raven Shell gallery that has higher res images

https://www.wanderth...06-raven-shell/

Edited by desertmtn, 04 February 2022 - 06:33 PM.

#9 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:32 PM

Beautiful work, well explained.  Thank you.  Are you happy with the 3/4 birch plywood bench tops?  I am redesigning my dinette and need to make hinged bench top/bin lids that will be atop a hole that is roughly 22x30 with support on all sides.  Will it need bracing or can it do okay on its own?  Also, did you use straight birch plywood or get the revered Baltic Birch plywood?

Edited by Dirtroadsavant, 16 February 2022 - 11:11 PM.

Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:38 PM

3/4" baltic birch is stupid strong!  I used 1/2" in my build and it is holding up well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users