9 replies to this topic

#1 Marmot

Marmot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 24 January 2022 - 05:14 AM

I have a Fleet on my 2017 Tacoma. The truck has about 50K miles on it, 90% put on it since the Fleet has been on nearly full time. Its suspension (I think) has been creaky for a long time, and recently it seems to be getting creakier. I have ARB leafs, OMB shocks, and Firestone airbags. Is this a sign of a serious issue, or does the suspension just need some lubrication or something?

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:38 PM

Toyota 4WD's are well known to creak when the suspension moves at full lock in one or both directions. More common with the IFS trucks prior to the Tacoma's, but I understand that all vintages of Tacomas will do this occasionally.

I am suspecting that is not the source of your noise.

The OME springs use a hard urethane bushing rather than rubber like OEM. Those will tend to make noise unless lubricated, and sometimes even with lubrication. I've been told by one 4WD shop owner that all urethane bushings will eventually squeak, and once they do squeak that you may as well replace them because there is no effective, long-term cure that he knew of.

I've been impressed by the OME bushings because they are a clearly superior material to those urethane bushings sold in the US aftermarket. However, if they are squeaking it may be time to consider replacing them. I would strongly suggest talking to Cruiser Outfitters about this as Kurt is a long time OME dealer and can best advise you on the path forward.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:46 PM

My OME leaf springs drove me crazy when they were fairly new with the squeaking but it finally went away.

#4 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:35 PM

My tacoma w/ OME shocks and front springs, and Deaver leafs + airbags in the rear, squeaks a lot. 

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 January 2022 - 04:04 PM

I have been told that the Energy Suspension silicone grease is the best for use on urethane bushings. Dielectric silicone grease is a viable, but  poor second, and anything petroleum based is a bad idea because the petroleum chemically attacks the urethane. Used to be that Baker Precision sold a similar silicone grease for suspension bushings, but I'm not finding it on their site.

https://www.energysu...ushing-lube.asp

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 05:30 PM

I bought that lube....  then realized I'd have to disassemble my truck to apply it..  It's not like a spray that will seep in, or something w/ grease fittings.  You'd have to remove the bolt from the bushing, grease it, then re-install it. 

I'm a little more confident w/ my truck repair abilities since I bought it, so would probably try it now... if I still cared. 

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:49 AM

On some of my cars that I put delrin/urethane bushings in, I drilled/tapped and installed zerk fittings so I could grease them up without disassembly.  

#8 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:17 PM

I've been told that any high-quality synthetic silicone grease should be fine for polyurethane bushings. I use Superlube or Amsoil.

One thing to note is that the tip pads on OME springs should be lubed now and then. The easiest way to do so is to jack up the vehicle by the chassis so the springs hang free. Then you can use a pry bar to separate the spring ends, clean off any dirt, and insert a smear of grease. You might be surprised to note a difference in ride quality as well as a reduction in noise. Those pads can and should be replaced when they wear out. 

Another thing to keep in mind regarding bushings is that usually the rotating—and thus squeaking—part of the bushing is the inside, where the pin goes though. The fat outer part rarely rotates. If it's lubed when installed it should be good for the life of the bushing; the center grease nipple (on OME and some other shackles) is then used to periodically lube the pin.

51842707774_246f982735_z.jpg

Edited by JHanson, 25 January 2022 - 02:40 PM.

#9 Marmot

Marmot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:48 PM

Helpful feedback all, thanks!

#10 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 25 January 2022 - 06:08 PM

I have owned a '93 MR2 since 2000 and in 2003 I had the rubber bushings replaced with polyurethane. No grease but they only squeak when I first start out, then the squeaking just stops or I just stop hearing them.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suspension, Tacoma, Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users