15 replies to this topic

#1 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 30 January 2022 - 06:46 PM

Hi Everyone,

I can't find any topics on this subject. We are thinking about a late March trip to San Felipe on the east side or something on the Pacific side. There will be friends with us in a Lance truck camper, a Roadtrek and our Hawk. For now San Felipe is our initial thought.

The US State Department says to "Reconsider Trips to Baja". None of us have ever done a road trip to Mexico and we are looking for any kind of info or advise, good or bad.

We're aware of the visa, insurance, health and dog info required. I have seen the Four Wheel Camper Group trip in Feb and July. Those dates aren't working for us and they only accept FWC's, which I understand.

So, I'm open to any info any of you can give us. Don't hold back!!

Thanks for any help,

Brian 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#2 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 30 January 2022 - 10:45 PM

Hi,

I will see if i can help.

First thing i recommend grabbing the Baja California Atlas.

And then decide where you want to stay. We stayed at Pete's Camp

Great easy way to ease into things, food is good, camping is reasonable and all of the rigs in your party should be fine.

Lots of other choices. In that area.

Learn some basic phrases, be POLITE, smile, don't speed, don't drive at night. 

We spent a little over a month in Baja in 2017/2018.

Things are a little different now, but from what i have read, people i have spoken with. Baja is still pretty safe.

I treat foreign countries like i treat cities in the US, no where to go, and NOT to go. If you go down there looking for any kind of trouble

you will most likely find it. 

Otherwise, it's awesome down there. We are planning on going feb of next year.

Let me know if i can help.

Was one of my favorite trips.

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 03:55 AM

Don't go as a group

#4 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:56 AM

Hi David,

Why not as a group? We thought this would be safer?

Wango,

Pete’s looks pretty good, as you said, to ease into the area. We’re a pretty easy going group, a Doctor, a Minister and a pilot

I'm wondering how long the border crossings can take going and coming at Mexicali if all your paperwork is done. 

Thanks

Edited by BrianG, 31 January 2022 - 06:59 AM.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#5 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 31 January 2022 - 01:26 PM

Brian,

As far as groups go, different strokes i guess. We went with another couple, they were pulling a bumper tow camper. Very limiting at times as far as where they could go.

Hard to direct you to more dispersed areas, not knowing the vehicle capabilities. Again, just do some research on the area and be conservative when leaving established areas.

We entered at Mexicali, and exited at tecacate. Entering was fairly easy, had to stop to get our FMM, and find an ATM. Getting back into the US took much longer, which was expected.

Do you home work, take it slow while down there. It will work out, we are going back next year.

w

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:29 PM

And dive deep into this website... all of the above is very good advice.

http://forums.bajanomad.com

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#7 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 01 February 2022 - 03:55 AM

We just returned from a trip to Baja the first two weeks of January. Knowing what I know now, I would not be nervous about a trip to Baja, other than using common sense and some of the general advice you see out there.  As far as COVID, as I assume that is part of the State Department advisory, way more people (pretty much everyone) in Baja wear masks, even outside.  The guy washing trucks in the grocery parking lot for cash is wearing a mask.  I'd guess the vaccination rate is lower.  I'd be more worried about the condition of the bathrooms myself.  

As far as safety goes, our experience was good.  We camped in a few remote places with nobody around, and felt safe.  We stayed in places with a few people around but that weren't developed and felt safe.  We stayed in a few developed places with a fee and felt safe.  We moved south fast to get out of the populated places and away from people.  That's where we generally feel safe and Mexico was no exception.  There's lots of friendly locals and travelers there, much more welcoming than most places I've been in the US.  

Kind of funny I just saw this post as I just started our report(s) and posted our experience in crossing the border at Tecate in the video embedded in the post here: https://www.occident...order-crossing/  Tecate seemed way less busy than Mexicali where we re-entered the US.  

In the words of my favorite philosopher: "If you don't do it now, you'll only be one year older when you do."

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#8 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 01 February 2022 - 02:24 PM

Great timing Occidental! 

Just confirmed with the wife, we are heading down next Feb, Just can't this year. Too much to plan with getting away for a month to 6 weeks. 

Brian G, i hope all of this helps. Baja was one of my all time favorite trips. 

w

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#9 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 07:13 AM

This has all helped a lot. We were looking for some confirmation that it was safe and doable at this point in time. We’ll be headed down the last week in March and will keep this thread open at that time. 

We are looking at the Baja Nomads site also, thanks buckland! Many thanks to Occidental, I’ll be watching for further postings. 

Brian

#10 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 03 February 2022 - 08:35 PM

I just got back on Tuesday the 1st of Feb. Sound advice given in previous posts. I went as far as Loreto Bay. Lots of good beach camping just N. of Loreto. As mentioned, common sense and and a good attitude as well as learning some basic Spanish goes a long way in Baja. The locals I have met have always been friendly and welcoming . Take it slow and enjoy the ride. Baja is awesome !

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Baja

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users