Photo

Four Wheel Fleet vs Palomino Backpack SS500. Which is better?

Four Wheel Palomino Backpack Truck Campers; popup tops

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ann

Ann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 04:43 PM

I'm buying a Chevy Colorado 4WD and trying to decide between putting a Fleet or a Palomino Backpack SS500 on it.  I've looked at both popup tops and they seem pretty similar to me but wanted to get the opinion of the forum.  Is there a preference for one over the other?  I'll be doing generally easy to moderate four-wheeling driving with the vehicle.  Thanks for your help

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 January 2022 - 05:05 PM

Look at weight and reviews, my opinion is the Fleet will prevail.  I also recommend looking at ATC (All Terrain Campers).  Typically they are less expensive, and ATC does custom configuration.  I have my second ATC on order.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 January 2022 - 05:50 PM

I think the FWC will have better resale ease and value. I’ve seen Palominos sit for sale for a long time. FWCs usually sell very fast.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:05 PM

Welcome to the site. Over 12 years ago while searching pop ups for the first time,I looked at the Palomino SS500.

It was very nice on the interior and had some features I would have enjoyed.

As I continued my search on FWC and ATC I realized the weight was a issue with the SS500.

Price point was good but after visiting both FWC and ATC I ordered the Bobcat from ATC.

Full camper model with side dinette. We have enjoyed our Bobcat over the past 12 years and 50K miles

Give both FWC and ATC a look.

Like Steve wrote Marty/Jeff at ATC are very easy to work with and willing to work with you on some custom plans.

Also the ATC runs about 3K less although if you don't live near the Sacramento area you need to drive to pick up

or I think they still deliver.

Enjoy your search.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:12 PM

Friend of mine has a Palomino, it doesn't compare to FWC.  They're less money for a reason. Stay clear of them.

Edited by nikonron, 31 January 2022 - 08:15 PM.

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 01 February 2022 - 06:17 PM

Some of the Palomino campers look really big to me when they are mounted on the smaller trucks.  If you end up with a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon, the Palomino camper probably won't be sitting as tall in the truck bed as the attached photo. The truck beds are deeper on the Chevy Colorado. But the size of the camper will probably look about the same.

Attached Thumbnails

• Palomino Tacoma.jpg

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 01 February 2022 - 06:20 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 Ann

Ann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 01:44 AM

Thank you for your advice.  I have no looked at the Palomino and the FWC and do believe the Palomino isn't very good. But I really want the electrical lift and I live in So Cal, a ways away from Sacramento.  Has anyone used a Northstar 600S?  What do you think?

#8 Mykiss

Mykiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTerrace British Columbia

Posted 08 May 2022 - 11:08 PM

Thank you for your advice.  I have no looked at the Palomino and the FWC and do believe the Palomino isn't very good. But I really want the electrical lift and I live in So Cal, a ways away from Sacramento.  Has anyone used a Northstar 600S?  What do you think?

Hmmm, I drove from the Southern tip of Alaska to Sacramento to pick up my ATC camper. You can look at it as a chor or an opportunity to do some camping.
There is a reason why(actually many reasons) most of us prefer ATC and FWC.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Four Wheel, Palomino, Backpack Truck Campers;, popup tops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users