#1 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:35 PM

Hi all
Wondering if there’s any tips or tricks for mounting things to the exterior of our camper. We have a 2021 hawk FWC with smooth exterior siding. I’d like to figure out a way to mount our camping chairs and small travel bbq to the outside of the camper. Anyone done anything like this? How’d ya do it?

Thanks!

#2 m5040

m5040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 07 February 2022 - 01:28 AM

And if you did it, how long ago and how has it held up?  Any cracks forming?  Do you go off-road?

I think the best is to use the receiver hitch accessories since they mount to the frame of the truck.  I was even going to install one on the front.

#3 Dessmo

Dessmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 February 2022 - 06:35 AM

I use airline tracks, very flexible and gives a lot of option. Easy to configure as you need depending on what you need to bring. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2AAB2F60-9B66-41A3-9572-F3A4801D07CA.jpeg
  • 043D23BA-FCBF-418F-9077-014DAB5AF85E.jpeg
  • 91636904-FB39-4229-A81A-0C9C1C4A4926.jpeg
  • C1D85228-C660-46E5-A3B8-D3255FDCF206.jpeg

2019 Fleet shell build.

2006 RAM w/5,9 Cummins

#4 Travel18

Travel18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2022 - 12:55 PM

I use airline tracks, very flexible and gives a lot of option. Easy to configure as you need depending on what you need to bring. 

Did you bolt them through the frame? Do you have more pictures? That looks great

#5 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 07 February 2022 - 06:58 PM

check out the 8020 camper side rack brkt from Saltmade.co

these brackets attach to jack brkts.  u can then span the width with 8020. the 8020 would give u lots of options for mounting gear.  this also eliminates drilling through the camper skin.   i am kicking myself for not putting the jack brkts all the way up the side, though u can still add them in - there is a good amount of aluminum frame at the corners.

RC - if u are going to mount to camper frame, i would use rivnuts.  i would trust them more than rivets.

Oregon

#6 Dessmo

Dessmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 February 2022 - 06:43 AM

Did you bolt them through the frame? Do you have more pictures? That looks great

I bolted through at top/bottom for those I use for heavy stuff. In addition self tapping screws and glue. Is very solid, the rear locker is around 100lb when full with 2 cans of diesel. I will trie to take some more pictures later. Just use your fingers to tap/feel on the outside to locate the frame.

2019 Fleet shell build.

2006 RAM w/5,9 Cummins

#7 UmkaAndHawk

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 February 2022 - 02:17 AM

These look good, but how did you identify where the metal inside your camper 

these brackets attach to jack brkts.  u can then span the width with 8020. the 8020 would give u lots of options for mounting gear.  this also eliminates drilling through the camper skin.   i am kicking myself for not putting the jack brkts all the way up the side, though u can still add them in - there is a good amount of aluminum frame at the corners.

RC - if u are going to mount to camper frame, i would use rivnuts.  i would trust them more than rivets.

These look really interesting. Do you happen to know what brackets they use to mount things on the *back* of the camper (in the images on saltnade's site, there are maxtraxx and a jerrycan mounted to backets which connect to your jack stands--but which are they?

#8 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 13 February 2022 - 03:14 AM

These look good, but how did you identify where the metal inside your camper 

These look really interesting. Do you happen to know what brackets they use to mount things on the *back* of the camper (in the images on saltnade's site, there are maxtraxx and a jerrycan mounted to backets which connect to your jack stands--but which are they?

no i dont know what works for the back. they appear to be small company, and i am sure they would answer the phone.  let me/us know what you do.

Oregon

#9 AdventureDave

AdventureDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo, CA

Posted 14 February 2022 - 07:49 PM

Those brackets are awesome.  Thanks for the post!

#10 GflGdog

GflGdog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 05:14 AM

Evidently saltmade.co is no longer up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users