10 replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:36 PM

Anybody have experiences (good or bad) with ice-traction devices for your shoes/ hiking boots? Any user tips?

I ask because I started a post to say that I'm very thankful to have my Yaktrax. But then I looked at some of the reviews online and was surprised to see more negative reviews than I expected to see.  I've had two pairs of Yaktrax and no issues so I'm curious whether others have had problems or prefer other designs.

I've been wearing my Yaktrax Pros quite a lot recently and they've been terrific.  I walk at nearby state/county parks and I've had to wear them for most of my walks lately.  The trails are lower than surrounding terrain so they collect melting snow and freeze up overnight.  There are also a few places where springs flood the trail and there are long stretches of ultra-slick overflow ice you can't go around. 

As far as user tips for the Yaktrax Pros, I find it easier to put the Yaktrax on with the boot off so I can more easily arrange the rubber and coils just right.   I've also been using them so much that I've been leaving the boots with their Yaktrax on in the truck and just switching between boots and driving shoes at the trailhead.

PS-- The good news about the icy trails is they are completely deserted.  Nice!

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#2 Gussie

Gussie

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationDunsmuir, California, USA

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:45 PM

When it's icy up here in Mt Shasta, I swear by them. My dog appreciates that we can go on walks without me ending up in traction!
I'm sure people can find reasons to complain, but I'm not among them.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." (Oscar Wilde)

2016 ATC Bobcat on a 2023 Tacoma Off-Road

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 February 2022 - 09:03 PM

Kahtoola microspikes Used in Yellowstone on solid ice boardwalks and even use them clearing trees with a chinsaw on snow for safety. Easy simple to put on and take off. Been very pleased with them.

https://kahtoola.com...twear-traction/

Edited by pvstoy, 09 February 2022 - 09:04 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 February 2022 - 09:55 PM

I have used the Yaxtrax walking ones.

They worked well for walking on snowy/icy streets.

Easy to attach/detach.

Don't use them anymore,no longer in snow conditions.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:20 AM

I have the kahtoola microspikes but I also have a pair of no name, ball of the feet spikes. I was impressed how well they worked. I never slipped once. Not bad for casual use. I wouldn't use them for serious ice work of course.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 10 February 2022 - 05:28 PM

i like your process of dedicating a pair of shoes for the trax. thats generally what i do, and am very pleased.

Oregon

#7 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the replies, all.

After reading through many more reviews of various designs of these, I'm seeing there are a good many negative reviews for all of them.

People have their own opinions of course but mentions of breaking straps, breaking hardware, coming off the boot too easily, etc seem common to all.  I guess it's just a tough environment. 

I've only had one minor problem with a Yaktrax Pro coming off my boot.  My foot broke through under-cut ice into about two inches of water.  As I rushed to pulled my foot out, I must have brushed the edge of the ice and that peeled the Yaktrax rubber off the toe of my boot.  I didn't feel a thing and just noticed a squishy feeling on the next few steps.  The front half had folded back under.   But I found it undamaged and just put it back on.

I might also mention that I've been walking longer ice-free surfaces with them as the ice slowly clears.  They don't pick up leaves or (much) mud and don't seem to be damaged from crossing asphalt roads. They just feel a little springy on the asphalt and the coils seem stiff enough to avoid crushing. Same with sections of rocky trail... they don't seem to have any problem with it.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 February 2022 - 03:11 AM

The Yaktrak Pro doesn't work for the ice I see here in Minnesota; doesn't cut into hard, below 0º ice, they just slide over the top.  I use something similar to the Diamond Grip and at times will use my 12 point crampons when pulling a heavy sled on bare lake ice.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 February 2022 - 03:03 PM

I have a pair of Tilley ice spikes.  They do a good job, but get bad reviews for losing spikes.  To date, I’ve had no problems with mine.

I am haunted by waters

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 03:09 PM

The Yaktrak Pro doesn't work for the ice I see here in Minnesota; doesn't cut into hard, below 0º ice, they just slide over the top.  I use something similar to the Diamond Grip and at times will use my 12 point crampons when pulling a heavy sled on bare lake ice.

Ah, thank you.  Good info.  Harder ice requires sharper contact points.  Got it.

By the way, we enjoyed traveling through Minnesota this past summer.  We spent a few days around Ely and Voyageurs National Park, then drove west across the top of the state from International Falls to cross the Red River near Joliette, North Dakota.

On the way home a month later, we drove Route 2 east across the state from Grand Forks through Bemidji and Duluth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users