#1 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBayfield Colorado

Posted 12 February 2022 - 01:16 AM

Here is an "out of the box" design idea: We’re going to travel with our small cataraft in our camper. We want to avoid putting the 48 lb frame on the roof because it will be hard to raise and lower the roof for camping before and after a river trip and it is pain to take the frame on/off. Could we mount the frame in the photo onto the jacks mounts on the right side of the camper. The frame is 91” long with a 8-1/2” depth (so it would stick out 8-1/2” from the right side of the camper. Some of the frame would extend in the back of the camper. Would the brackets hold if I welded some sort of bracket? I’ve seen some people mounting surf boards on the side of campers and some people mount bikes on the side of camper shells. Would this be legal? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4520 2.jpg

#2 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 12 February 2022 - 03:22 AM

You may want to contact the manufacturer of camper to see if the 48 lbs. is too much stress on camper frame

#3 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 03:23 PM

I did and they said "That’s the only place that would be strong enough and safe enough to secure it to". The frame is where the jacks attach. 

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 February 2022 - 03:46 PM

I believe most states have a legal limit of 8’ 6”, so you would have to calculate your width.  My guess is that any side mount approach will have the frame out another inch or two.  Here’s a rack system that might be a starting point, second item down.  My inclination would be to spend less than $100 for a speaker lift that would assist you with raising the roof.  

Google site wanderthewest.com "speaker lift" for threads that show the lifts.

Edit:  they’ve gone up in price at Guitar Center, now about $170.

I am haunted by waters

#5 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 13 February 2022 - 04:32 PM

Is that a break down frame? 

#6 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 13 February 2022 - 08:53 PM

if u travel without jacks, u might look into the 8020 camper side rack brkts from saltmade.co

Oregon

#7 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 10:21 PM

how about something like this rack

#8 robcc

robcc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 12:12 AM

I took the above recommendations and bought an 80/20 rack with brackets and vertical rails from saltmade.co

With the small cataraft frame on the vehicle it sticks out 10-3/4" from side of the truck with a total vehicle width of 7'-1/2". So it seems legal and solid. The only issue we'll have to loosen or lower the frame slightly to access the rear popup latch. We hope to carry SUPS and other stuff (not at the same time). We also got a speaker lift if we put things on the roof, so now we have options.  IMG_4619.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4631.jpg

Edited by robcc, 28 February 2022 - 12:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users